Modding attempt (Currently failing)

Started by Sarelth, August 01, 2016, 04:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarelth

I decided to attempt to update the Nightling mod to A14 for personal use mostly and to see if I could do it, but I am getting an error on load from it, not sure what I did wrong. Any help would be awesome.

I added the attempted mod rar and a screenshot of the error I got.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

kaptain_kavern

i just download your .rar archive.

Will try to make it work and add useful (i hope) comments in it

there is more than just the Nightling texture and code in this. is that normal?

Sarelth

I was using Fluffes Lore Friendly Animals mod as a base to compare, I left a dog  in there just as reference. I am not going to keep it there though.

There was not anything else extra was there?

kaptain_kavern

I started over from the orignial Nightling file.

I'm almost finished, i will take time to comment the code a bit too.

You couldn't be aware in advance but animals have changed more than other things in the code lately

Yay no error anymore ^^

kaptain_kavern

oh and one advice : try to always take example on the Core/Vanilla code rather than any modders :p

Sarelth

I was looking at the core stuff also. But Yeah, I went for a shortcut, obviously not a good one.

Fluffe

Honestly I used a mix of the core rimworld and Skullywags K9 Mod as a base for my mod it was alot of trial and error but other than some possible balancing issues works fine yay lol

Sarelth

I love the Vanilla animals mods Fluffe, Just want more... More I say.... *Cough* Sorry..

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 01, 2016, 06:05:25 PM
oh and one advice : try to always take example on the Core/Vanilla code rather than any modders :p

This wasn't intend to be an insult. Just to be clear :p

It's just better practice, imho to try to stick to Tynan's code (plus maybe you'll need less work to update for next alphas :p )

Sarelth

Never took it as an insult. I am rather laid back in that sense. Why stress over the little things in life when there are much more serious issues to deal with. ;) Like getting the Nightlings to work. lol

Fluffe

The more art I got the more animals I can add lol also thanks for liking it lol

kaptain_kavern

I feel you Fluffe :p that's my main problem too about modding ^^

Anyway it's done :p
A group of wild Nightlings in their natural habitat ^^

@Sarelth : I tried to comment on all files. Hope it'll help you to learn. Else please feel free to ask explanations, i will try to help you but i'm not (and by far) the best coder/modder you'll find in here ;)

edit : A few link that can help :

Please don't release this as is. I just do the update, nothing more. If i were to release this i will test it more, also check if they spawn anywhere they should - here they only spawn in 3 biomes, etc...  I've done this for you to have an example in the hope you'll do a proper release

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Sarelth

Thanks much. No plans on releasing it at all. I just wanted something to work with and it looked cool.
If I make some creatures, I would try for unique ones, but I am not an artisit, so they might be stick creatures. lol

kaptain_kavern

Ho and about animals, while researching info for the making of A Dog Said, i wrote that table. Maybe it can help anyone who have projects about animal mods

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rgQecI_4Z6-olG9PCO-6uSVyC5cmXh6_Wp_v-Xt8FI