Just started playing, but find the game rather... lacking?

Started by SteelRodent, August 02, 2016, 07:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Quote from: SteelRodent on August 02, 2016, 07:38:09 AM
... And starting over isn't fun. That's just wasting my time.

Surviving to playing the long game is a goal(and a fun one!).
However, not only is starting over with a new colony also fun but it is not even remotely a waste of time.

It sounds like its not fun to you.

Shurp

I'm not sure exactly what the complaint is... Rimworld is already surprisingly intuitive and responsive.  It's rarely hard to figure out *how* to do something.  You want to build a solar panel and a heater?  Click click click there ya go.  Oh, did you forget to put a battery in?  Sorry, your heater goes out as soon as the sun goes down.  Ooopsie.

*What* to do takes time to learn, but that's the fun of the game, making mistakes and learning from them.  "Crap, I'm not going to send my boys out to attack sappers, I'll wait for them to dig into my turret nest instead."

Of course, this form of play requires that you reload autosaves when you screw up and die.  So?  Anyone who plays on "permadeath" without having had lots of experience already is an idiot who deserves to lose^H^H^H^Hhave FUN.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Illusion Distort

To OP
Tynan has worked on the ingame tutor, it should make the game somwhat enjoyable if enabled. Also we have online forums where you can ask for help and tips. I give you cred for stating you oppinion, we should not hate on the people that have something to say.
I can agree on most of the things you said, but for the moment Tynan is focusing on other stuff that needs his attention. We should have a preloaded map for starters so they can have a playthrough they can manage. If that is what you where looking for then I would encurrage you to open a thread in suggestions and in the near future a mod or admin will get back to you.

Best of luck :*

Note: I have been playing RW since Alpha 3, so it's hard for me to relate to being "new". But I can tell you that the user-friendliness has increased drastically.

eronaile

to OP as well: I started with Rimworld only 2 weeks ago and without reading anything on forums or wiki. Sure enough, it took me several matches (the first lastes 15 mins before defeat, the 2nd like 25, the 3rd like 40, you see where I am going...) to learn the ropes. The 'adaptive tutor' only ever mentions something when it's already (almost) too late and is definitely no tutorial. Basically it just gives some hints.
However this learning by doing was a lot of fun! It's rare that you are defeated in a game and feel like you had a really good time and some crazy story to tell :)

Agree on above that a tutorial map would be awesome. Sure, there's free building mode but that is still learning by doing. I understand some people would like to know most of the stuff beforehand.

Serenity

I agree in the order issues. Too much stuff is cramped into the architect menu. Especially common things like hauling or mining shouldn't be so deep down.

Also the priority thing. No way to tell people to work on one area. I've had games where caves were full of rubble for ages because nobody got around to it. And you can only rush one piece of rubble at a time. There is a mod that adds a priority function, but this should be in the base game.

More in-game explanation of the mechanics would be nice, but things aren't too hard to figure out by reading things online.