why do sandbags require steel?

Started by Franklin, August 02, 2016, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

Maybe they are Hesco barriers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesco_bastion

Contains a wire mash to hold the sand bags

eronaile

I think the more relevnant and critical question here is what's up with that bicycle dude who carries sandbags over the border each day. Eventually, after many checks and sending the sand to labs and stuff, the border guards give up. 'alright son, I know you are smuggling something here, we just cannot fathom what. If you tell me what you smuggle, there won't be any consequences, I swear.'
'Bicycles...'

CannibarRechter

It would be okay if any clothlike substance (including skin) would work, in which case you could just go hunting to get the sandbag material. Sand, earth, or gravel are all in infinite supply around you, so that really isn't the constraining resource.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

b0rsuk

What else should they require ? Cloth ? Then no sandbags on ice sheet ? They would become prohibitively expensive in some biomes.

wolfman1911

The technical answer is that sandbags were introduced at a point when steel was one of the only resources in the game, and presumably it hasn't been changed since then.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: CannibarRechter on August 03, 2016, 10:43:56 AM
It would be okay if any clothlike substance (including skin) would work, in which case you could just go hunting to get the sandbag material. Sand, earth, or gravel are all in infinite supply around you, so that really isn't the constraining resource.

Maybe "Create Sandbag (empty)" could be a job at the tailors workshop and sandbags created this way could be filled and afterwards installed and reinstalled where ever one wants (instead of just deconstructed (with a loss of materials) as it is currently the case)

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 04, 2016, 04:01:09 AMMaybe "Create Sandbag (empty)" could be a job at the tailors workshop and sandbags created this way could be filled and afterwards installed and reinstalled where ever one wants (instead of just deconstructed (with a loss of materials) as it is currently the case)

Quote from: DariusWolfe on August 02, 2016, 02:08:21 PMMake sand-bags out of whatever textile at the tailor station, then have a set-up time to actually build the defenses.

Hmm...

Kagemusha12

Quote from: DariusWolfe on August 04, 2016, 04:57:25 AM
Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 04, 2016, 04:01:09 AMMaybe "Create Sandbag (empty)" could be a job at the tailors workshop and sandbags created this way could be filled and afterwards installed and reinstalled where ever one wants (instead of just deconstructed (with a loss of materials) as it is currently the case)

Quote from: DariusWolfe on August 02, 2016, 02:08:21 PMMake sand-bags out of whatever textile at the tailor station, then have a set-up time to actually build the defenses.

Hmm...

Sorry, didn't see it ... well, then +1 to your idea

Franklin

I don't think my intent was to suggest sandbags need to be reworked. I just wanna see them require a resource yet implemented into the game. Or just like, raw stone, instead of steel.

But then, I also want to see water as a resource and we all know how that's coming along.