How to get steel when their is non?

Started by Naeem, August 03, 2016, 07:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naeem

I have mined every last bit of steel in my world. ALL the steel in the mountains are gone. It was good at first I had like 9K of steel but now I only have 2K... Is there any other way of getting steel? I really need it.

Shinzy

you can smelt weapons and slag in the electric smelter
some merchants carry it aswell
and I think dissecting a mechanoid corpse in the machining bench might give you some, too? I'm not entirely sure about the last one =P

Naeem

Quote from: Canute on August 03, 2016, 08:43:44 AM
This solution won't help you at your current colony anymore, but there are mods for deep mining facilities or let your grow special plant to get ore.
Tell me the mod please.

Naeem

Quote from: Shinzy on August 03, 2016, 08:10:45 AM
you can smelt weapons and slag in the electric smelter
some merchants carry it aswell
and I think dissecting a mechanoid corpse in the machining bench might give you some, too? I'm not entirely sure about the last one =P
I just tried it and you do get steel from mech corpses! Thanks for the tip ;) I really appreciate it.

MasterD1085

Make a comms console and buy steel from bulk goods traders.

Naeem

A comms console is good for traders but I NEVER get them!!! I only get a bulk trader and a pirate merchant 4 maybe 5 times a year. That really sucks. I have to put all my faith in faction traders.

Stewydeadmike

The Vegetable garden mod allows you to grow "Steel leaf" plants which can be harvested and smelted down into steel not sure if it is save compatible

Crowbar Felt

Two mods I know is ED-Omnigell and Quarry. Omnigel is a plantable and quarry is a non removable structure that you can assign four colonists to work at once to mine for stone chunks and various metals.
Someone's organ harvested.  x5

Tynan

I've actually added a feature to A15 that solves this because, yeah, it is a bit of a design breakdown.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jaxxa

Quote from: Naeem on August 03, 2016, 02:08:53 PM
A comms console is good for traders but I NEVER get them!!! I only get a bulk trader and a pirate merchant 4 maybe 5 times a year. That really sucks. I have to put all my faith in faction traders.

Have a look at my SubspaceTransponder mod. It allows you to call trade ships.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18995.msg207274#msg207276

Shurp

1) Grow corn / rice
2) Turn on Dev Mode
3) Summon Orbital Trader until you get a Bulk Goods Trader
4) Sell corn / rice, buy steel.
5) Turn off Dev Mode.

You can also mod the game so that traders show up frequently enough to make use of your surplus, but this is a much easier solution.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Naeem

Quote from: Shurp on August 03, 2016, 06:53:05 PM
1) Grow corn / rice
2) Turn on Dev Mode
3) Summon Orbital Trader until you get a Bulk Goods Trader
4) Sell corn / rice, buy steel.
5) Turn off Dev Mode.

Shurp thats cheating! Come on man you know better  than that :)

You can also mod the game so that traders show up frequently enough to make use of your surplus, but this is a much easier solution.

Naeem

Quote from: Tynan on August 03, 2016, 04:46:20 PM
I've actually added a feature to A15 that solves this because, yeah, it is a bit of a design breakdown.
I would love to see this feature Tynan. I hope its something like you can send your colonists on a mining mission! That would be awesome! Or or! Maybe you can dig a tunnel and do deep core mining!! Hope that knocks your socks off :D!

Shinzy

Quote from: Naeem on August 04, 2016, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: Tynan on August 03, 2016, 04:46:20 PM
I would love to see this feature Tynan. I hope its something like you can send your colonists on a mining mission! That would be awesome! Or or! Maybe you can dig a tunnel and do deep core mining!! Hope that knocks your socks off :D!

Oo betting tiime!
I bet it's gon be falling steel meteor chunks

Dante King

extract iron from colonist viens and smelt it in an electric smelter and get some steel, colonist or prisoner dies. yay!