Trees should serve as cover

Started by Boston, August 03, 2016, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

AS title

Elaboration: If bushes and cacti provide cover, then why don't trees?

In the settlement of the American frontier, fort garrisons made a big deal about clearing any and all trees away from the walls of the fort, to a distance farther than a rifle shot, so a sniper couldn't sneak up and pop shots on the fort.

Again, trees should provide cover.

Goldenpotatoes

Trees do provide cover, just not very good cover.

Boston

Then they should provide better cover.

Listen1

I believe they already provide enough cover. The trees are not Sequoias. And it is full body cover, so it's better than Stonechunks and sandbags.

I've seen raiders sucessfully using trees as cover and dominating.

Kagemusha12

If we would orient ourselves on reality, we should make the cover of trees depend on the caliber of the gun and the diameter of the tree.

The bullet stopping capabilities of trees against high powered projectiles (rifles, assault guns, LMGs and the like) aren't as good as people usually assume ;)
They may serve as sight cover, but their cover when the enemy already has discovered you and is unleashing a full barrage (of, for example, LMG fire)  should be negilible (i.e. don't expect the tree to stop the bullets ... especially not if you are hiding behind a small pine :D )

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 04, 2016, 08:27:36 AM
If we would orient ourselves on reality, we should make the cover of trees depend on the caliber of the gun and the diameter of the tree.

The bullet stopping capabilities of trees against high powered projectiles (rifles, assault guns, LMGs and the like) aren't as good as people usually assume ;)
They may serve as sight cover, but their cover when the enemy already has discovered you and is unleashing a full barrage (of, for example, LMG fire)  should be negilible (i.e. don't expect the tree to stop the bullets ... especially not if you are hiding behind a small pine :D )
Uhhh...

I wouldn't assume that a tree would be much good at all.

Kagemusha12

ROFLMAO ... ouch ... I meant assault rifles of course :D

Boston

According to the game, "cover" also equals "concealment".

Bushes provide cover, and no bush is going to stop a bullet. Therefore, being hard to see also makes you hard to hit.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Boston on August 04, 2016, 03:34:18 PM
According to the game, "cover" also equals "concealment".

Bushes provide cover, and no bush is going to stop a bullet. Therefore, being hard to see also makes you hard to hit.

Which is why  trees in Rimworld provide cover ... just like Bushes ... i.e. the cover value that is supplied by trees in Rimworld reflects their ability to provide sight cover

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.