Butchering humans[Might be a bug. I think]

Started by Naeem, August 04, 2016, 12:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naeem

Every since I started playing this game in A12 I believe that butchering humans are a good thing. Its survival so no one can judge! Here is the problem though. I have 3 colonists that a psychopaths and they are cooks so they butcher the humans for meat and leather but why is it when they are done. The WHOLE colony gets a mood debuff? They never saw anything. So I just dont understand is it a bug that needs to be fixed or are the colonists just gossipers?

milon

They're all gossipers.  That's definitely intended behavior.  Even if a colonist doesn't directly witness it, they all know it's happening.

Psychopaths don't care if someone dies, but they don't like to eat human flesh.  Not sure if they care about people being butchered or not.

Dante King

Psycopath + Cannibal + Bloodlust = No debuff from raids, cannibalism, or butchering hoomans.

satch4684

so I had a funny idea for the psycopath + bloodlust character to have his own walk in freezer and butcher table in his house, sort of secretly making kibble for the colony to use from fallen enemies, lol.

but then I guess not worth it cause everyone would be aware of the butchering and get debuffed? 

CannibarRechter

CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Naeem

Thanks Milon for the tip,really appreciate it. So its not a bug. They are all just darn gossipers... Desperate house wives all over again.

Limdood

"Hey redfields, what ever happened to those 5 pirates that died raiding us?  Their bodies aren't there anymore and the graves are still empty.  Oh hey, new fine meals!  I thought we were out of meat!"

Naeem

Quote from: Limdood on August 04, 2016, 03:36:18 PM
"Hey redfields, what ever happened to those 5 pirates that died raiding us?  Their bodies aren't there anymore and the graves are still empty.  Oh hey, new fine meals!  I thought we were out of meat!"
Wooooo!Free meat!

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Naeem on August 04, 2016, 02:05:31 PM
Thanks Milon for the tip,really appreciate it. So its not a bug. They are all just darn gossipers... Desperate house wives all over again.

Well, it might also make the other colonists suspicious, to find human finger-/toe-nails and human teeth in their food :D

Serenity

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 04, 2016, 04:50:03 PM
Well, it might also make the other colonists suspicious, to find human finger-/toe-nails and human teeth in their food :D
You clearly need a better cook

Wex

Quote from: Dante King on August 04, 2016, 01:03:51 PM
Psycopath + Cannibal + Bloodlust = No debuff from raids, cannibalism, or butchering hoomans.
Psycopath + Cannibal + Bloodlust = your best buddy! Everyone likes them!  ::)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Dante King

ChannelJohn

I understand that this is a feature and not a bug, but I'd love to see some more wiggle room in here. It would add a lot to the RP of the game if you could have someone secretly butchering humans and/or feeding the "strange meat" to the colony and having to keep their questionable activities hidden.

To that end, maybe the debuff/gossip could only happen if another colonist sees the butchering or walks into the butchering area or something. I know that might be adding a little more complexity to the system than makes sense with Tynan's stated aim for indie simplicity, but I definitely noticed this limit on the RP when I was playing as it felt natural and organic to have one of my colonists be a secret cannibal/murderer/whatever and the hard limit/immediate-and-universal backlash there was a little disappointing. And, y'know, adding the need to build/protect a secret little area is a nice "organic quest"/excuse-to-build that arises from RP-ing that sort of colonist.

Another thought is to start colonists with a tolerance for death/cannibalism/whatever that starts somewhere on a gradient -- usually on the less psycho end -- but changes over the course of the game depending on circumstances/experience. E.g., a non-psycho colonist starts out as intolerant of cannibalism but, after repeatedly starving for a while and having to resort to cannibalism a number of times, becomes a little inured to it. And, after enough times, maybe they even develop a taste for it.

Knowing that so many players go full-out toward butchery and eating the "long pig," I can see how this would need to be balanced in some way, otherwise all those players would just grind toward becoming a tribe of cannibals and the point of having non-psycho/non-cannibal colonists in the first place would be lost. To avoid this or at least add a curve to it, the debuffs could be pretty strong at the beginning. I.e, when a non-psycho/non-violent colonist eats human meat for the first time, they could be devastated. Full-on existential crisis. But then, each successive time, it could become a little less and a little less until they're eventually accepting of the situation. Keep going, and they may even begin to like it/crave it. The key is to create a relatively long gauntlet of nearly crippling debuffs that would require a player to work pretty hard -- and take some pretty significant production hits -- to get a non-cannibal colonist to be okay with eating humans. It would be a tough road, but, in this way, a player could develop a colony of cannibals over time rather than just always getting the debuff forever. In this way, Rimworld is not just about remaking/building your environment, but also remaking/building the psychology of your colony.

That being said, colonists with slightly more sensitive traits might not EVER become okay with it.

Anyway, idk. Just a thought. Like I said, I'd love to see some more wiggle room and RP opportunity with a mixed colony of psychos/cannibals and regular folk. And I'd certainly love the ability to evolve the attitudes of the colonists toward cannibalism over time. I don't think it should be easy, but would love if it was possible.