[MOD] (Alpha 2) Project Dig

Started by Tommygunner70, March 01, 2014, 01:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommygunner70

Project Dig

Description:
Project Dig adds the ability to change the terrain to what you want.
don't have hydroponics yet but want that large growing field with too little suitable soil near? no problem! Project Dig allows you to make that large farm field.

Features:

• Sand tile
  • Soil tile
  • Gravel tile

Mod Team:
Download:

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Known Issues:
This mod sadly doesn't work on existing games prior to enabling this mod. It will cause a texture/map error. So you will have to start a new game to make it work.

Notes:

• Don't hessitate to give your idea's or opinions
  • Flames only serve to warm my bed at night

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Thoughtless

Mmmm, I just asked for this the other day.

Tommygunner70

Lucius

Would be a little more realistic if you had to use some kind of degradable substance to make the soil, like nutrient paste as "manure".  After all; with the cooking skill now applied that nasty paste is almost a relic.

Vas

Quote from: Lucius on March 02, 2014, 03:03:49 PM
Would be a little more realistic if you had to use some kind of degradable substance to make the soil, like nutrient paste as "manure".  After all; with the cooking skill now applied that nasty paste is almost a relic.

I agree with this, though it is hard to get nutrient paste out of the dispenser because people only go there to eat the stuff.  You can't right click it to get it to dispense regularly.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Lucius

rimworld changelog...
February 28
Fixed external code loading.
Created the Fertilizer Pump external code test mod. Adds the fertilizer pump building which uses electricity and slowly creates a growable soil field around itself.
Finished automated hunting. Colonists will hunt with guns or melee attacks.
Pawns now try to eat nice meals when they have the choice over nutrient meals.
Various bugfixes.
So nice to see a dev ontop of natural expansion.

Tommygunner70

Quote from: Vas on March 02, 2014, 03:13:21 PM
Quote from: Lucius on March 02, 2014, 03:03:49 PM

I agree with this, though it is hard to get nutrient paste out of the dispenser because people only go there to eat the stuff.  You can't right click it to get it to dispense regularly.
I agree with that

I was thanking of making sand and soil a resource you can gather, but I haven't gotten around to looking into it.

Like use 'mine' on a patch of soil, and the colonist would dig it out to create bags of soil while replacing the previous soil into a hard stone ground you would find under mountains or something akin to bedrock. you can then use these bags of soil to lay down the soil while at the same time digging up the sand, giving you bags of sand.

And with the bags of sand... well who knows; glass flooring anyone? I haven't thought that far ahead obviously.

Quote from: Lucius on March 02, 2014, 06:02:53 PM

rimworld changelog...
February 28
Fixed external code loading.
Created the Fertilizer Pump external code test mod. Adds the fertilizer pump building which uses electricity and slowly creates a growable soil field around itself.
Finished automated hunting. Colonists will hunt with guns or melee attacks.
Pawns now try to eat nice meals when they have the choice over nutrient meals.
Various bugfixes.
So nice to see a dev ontop of natural expansion.

Indeed it is. was actually thinking about making a 'Fertilized Soil' that had double the fertility of regular soil.

Vas

Quote from: Tommygunner70 on March 03, 2014, 03:22:34 PM
I was thanking of making sand and soil a resource you can gather, but I haven't gotten around to looking into it.

Like use 'mine' on a patch of soil, and the colonist would dig it out to create bags of soil while replacing the previous soil into a hard stone ground you would find under mountains or something akin to bedrock. you can then use these bags of soil to lay down the soil while at the same time digging up the sand, giving you bags of sand.

I don't like this idea.  I think that it should just be a till the land type of thing, maybe when you place a dirt tile down, it just takes a while to build.  I noticed when building dirt blocks inside my mountain base, it was a really fast thing to do, perhaps make it take a small while each block.  Perhaps uhm.  1 hour game time?  I think that is 770 ticks.  Not sure.  I'd have to verify.  But yea, one to 3 hours game time to "till" or place one dirt block down.  Maybe longer given how much you can do with that land.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Tommygunner70

well I can understand how that doesn't appeal to you. But quite honestly, if you think about it, currently your able to substitute Sand with soil like its magic, and while this mod is itself a bit alpha, it is a bit cheaty. You cant make fertile soil out of desert sand or the other way around no matter how much you till the land. You actually need to bring in the new soil and either scoop out what is already there, or just dump it over it.

At present I'm a little busy with other things to do modding but I'll get around to it eventually.

Vas

Quote from: Tommygunner70 on March 06, 2014, 05:27:42 PM
well I can understand how that doesn't appeal to you. But quite honestly, if you think about it, currently your able to substitute Sand with soil like its magic, and while this mod is itself a bit alpha, it is a bit cheaty. You cant make fertile soil out of desert sand or the other way around no matter how much you till the land. You actually need to bring in the new soil and either scoop out what is already there, or just dump it over it.

At present I'm a little busy with other things to do modding but I'll get around to it eventually.

If you can get nutrient paste to dispense like a bill, or even make a new craft table that takes several types of food and makes a soil paste out of it, then you can use this to till land into grow-able soil.  I just don't like the idea of killing the outdoors by removing land and bringing it inside.  :P  You till through the rock of the indoors land, softening it up and breaking it down, once it is soft, it can be used for planting.  As for sandy areas, well that takes a lot more work and you need soil and nutrients and water.  I dunno, ask farmers from Israel how they did it.  :P

Tommygunner70

Ah right. well the idea is like minecraft, sure you can dig straight down with a shovel in sand until you hit sandstone or normal stone. all the while picking up material as you go. it would be like that. dig out sand, hit bedrock/sandstone. and its that sand that you use for creating a patch of farmland.

but its still a long way off before I have time for all this. currently busy with more important things.

ousire

Instead of trying to dispense nutrient paste to use for fertilizing the soil, why not just make the crafting cost of the ground cost food resources? It costs metal to place down stuff like concrete and carpets, is it possible to make it cost potatoes and/or berries to place down soil? The logic being your colonists are mixing it into the soil as nutrients

Or perhaps you could add a new workbench that allows you to create bags of fertilizer out of food? The "Farmers workbench" or whatever, where you can make bills to turn raw food into fertilizer, and then the soil tiles can cost a bag of fertilizer each

Darker

That's an idea! Make it a crafting table job!
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

StormProxy

Could you make this for alpha 3

a89a89