Way to turn off auto updates so they don't break my save everytime i log in?

Started by Klashus, August 03, 2016, 08:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klashus

Is there a way to turn off auto updating?  everytime i log on i have to start a new game because the update breaks the old file.  Do i have to just turn off all auto updates off on steam?.

FalconBR

you save file is not broken, you can keep playing it, I never had problems with it!

CannibarRechter

There is a way to do it per game with steam, but it's pretty well hidden. I know it does it because I've done it with several games, but I'm not at my pic to find the exact method for you...
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Juan el Demgrafo

I don't know how different the Steam client is across operating systems, but I can get access to it by right clicking the game in my library, then clicking "Properties" (should be at bottom of pop-up menu). Updates is the second tab in the window. Automatic is the first thing at the very top. There is a dropdown menu with all your options.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: CannibarRechter on August 03, 2016, 09:53:43 PM
There is a way to do it per game with steam, but it's pretty well hidden. I know it does it because I've done it with several games, but I'm not at my pic to find the exact method for you...

That option has been missing from my Steam client for 2 years or more now. Everything updates, it is just a matter of when it is prioritized. Think the only way to prevent it is to put Steam in offline mode, of course that prevents other uses of Steam as a side effect.

Gadg3t

y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶R̶i̶m̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶e̶r̶t̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶,̶
(̶R̶i̶g̶h̶t̶-̶c̶l̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶l̶i̶b̶r̶a̶r̶y̶)̶ ̶>̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶p̶e̶r̶t̶i̶e̶s̶  (does not stop updates see below)

HOWEVER, this just prevents the game it self from updating.

The issue with your save games breaking is probably because steam workshop mods are updated automatically. And from my google search it looks like the only way to stop this is for tynan to code it in on his side.

HOWEVER you can try this (I know transferring works and I assume that unsuscribing will stop mod updates, but have not been able to test the combination):

You should be able to subscribe to the workshop mod you want it will download to you steam app folder

<directoryToSteam>/steamapps/workshop/content/294100

Then take these mod folders and transfer them manually to the game mod folder:

<directoryToSteam>\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods

Then unsuscribe from the mod on workshop and it won't update.

*<directoryToSteam> by default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Gadg3t on August 03, 2016, 10:36:09 PM

I don't know about your copy of Steam, but in mine, that drop down box in the automatic updates has zero options for not updating.

Gadg3t

QuoteI don't know about your copy of Steam, but in mine, that drop down box in the automatic updates has zero options for not updating.

you're right my apologizes

Steam offline mode may the the easiest way  I guess...

O̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶a̶m̶a̶p̶p̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ (nope this doesn't work, RW compains about the missing API then closes)

DariusWolfe

Playing with Steam offline is the only way. There used to be a way to stop individual games from updating, but it's no longer true.

Additionally, the updates you may be getting may actually be mod updates (the Download screen does NOT tell you what was updated, beyond the core game or "Workshop content".

As soon as there's a decent mod manager for Rimworld (the Nexus one would work smashingly, if the Rimworld Nexus were used enough to make it worthwhile for them to update it to include Rimworld...) I intend to stop using the Workshop entirely, as I've done for all Bethesda games, and XCOM/XCOM 2. The Workshop is a great thing for ease and exposure, but Valve seems to have zero interest in making it actually mod-friendly.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: DariusWolfe on August 03, 2016, 10:59:47 PM
Playing with Steam offline is the only way. There used to be a way to stop individual games from updating, but it's no longer true.

Additionally, the updates you may be getting may actually be mod updates (the Download screen does NOT tell you what was updated, beyond the core game or "Workshop content".

As soon as there's a decent mod manager for Rimworld (the Nexus one would work smashingly, if the Rimworld Nexus were used enough to make it worthwhile for them to update it to include Rimworld...) I intend to stop using the Workshop entirely, as I've done for all Bethesda games, and XCOM/XCOM 2. The Workshop is a great thing for ease and exposure, but Valve seems to have zero interest in making it actually mod-friendly.

This is pretty much the sad truth of Steam Workshop.

On a note about the workshop updates, I keep a link to that folder on my desktop, it is easy enough to spot a date change so I at least know what updated, which will let me take appropriate action if needed.

Most likely I am just going to go back to using the DRM free method pretty soon, possibly after the current game I am in the midst of.

Jarwy

If you are refering to the version mismatch warning with the latest hotfixes, you need not worry. They will not break your saves. Only bigger updates do.

Klashus

Ok thanks guys.  I'll just go with it for now.  Last two games i had to restart because it broke the map somehow.  Something to the effect of "cannot load map" or something.  not too big a deal since im still figuring stuff out anyways.  Had to restart my best colony to date tho and it made me sad.   Thanks for the responses friends.