Save on death

Started by Kaiser23k, August 05, 2016, 02:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser23k

Permadeath mode = Game saves when a colonist dies.

I put my game on Permadeath mode, but it doesn't really work that way. Yes you get only 1 save file but, the game will at most save twice per day. My problem is, say my colony gets wiped out before it saves, I cheat the system by ALT+F4, thus reverting me back to when it last saved(99% of the time before my colonists died).

It would be nice to have the game (Permadeath Mode) save WHEN a colonist dies so I can't 'cheat'.

Thanks!

(Posted on steam also, not sure where ill get attention for this)
Steam thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/360671352686520158/

Thane

This is true. When the rage is real a simple ctrl+alt+delete or alt+F4 solves the problem.

Then again many times it is the rage! Such as a heatwave when there is no Neolithic way to cool (caves aren't even cooler anymore), or a predator munching your favorite colonist, or a raid so grossly OP compared to your current weapon set.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Kaiser23k

Do the developers actually view these forums? (As you can see I'm new here).  If not, where can I post this so it can get viewed and possibly added to the game?  I really think this feature should be in Permadeath mode.

Thanks.

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: Kaiser23k on August 06, 2016, 01:59:44 AM
Do the developers actually view these forums? (As you can see I'm new here).  If not, where can I post this so it can get viewed and possibly added to the game?  I really think this feature should be in Permadeath mode.

Thanks.

Yes our lord and savior Tynan will appear once a blue moon, and grace us with his presence, but is a rare occurrence. Yes he does scroll through out the forums
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

milon

He also has the highest post count by far. He's quite active. :P

And Save-On-Death (or other major events) may not be a bad idea, but it should be optional. On some systems (notably those without SSD drives) it would introduce too much lag.

Lightzy

+1

This is mandatory

I'd also save on injury and on negative event

Kaiser23k

Quote from: milon on August 06, 2016, 09:16:26 AM

And Save-On-Death (or other major events) may not be a bad idea, but it should be optional. On some systems (notably those without SSD drives) it would introduce too much lag.

I meant for this feature (Save on death/event) to only apply to Permadeath Mode, thus already being optional. :)

JesterHell

Quote from: Kaiser23k on August 07, 2016, 11:39:50 PM
Quote from: milon on August 06, 2016, 09:16:26 AM

I meant for this feature (Save on death/event) to only apply to Permadeath Mode, thus already being optional. :)

I think Milon meant an optional extra for permadeath.

permadeath [X]
Save on Colonist death [X]

It could also include something like.

Save on event [_]

As milon said it could create heavy load on some systems especially when a lot of colonists are dying in quick succession.

Mendel

I am not programmer and not really familiar with how much control applications can have on what happens when someone presses alt f4 or kills the process... so I guess I´ll just ask:

Is it even possible for Tynan to make the game save on alt f4?

If it would be possible to do that, it would probably solve this.

Alternative solution could be self restraint. If you get a bad thing happening, deal with it or start over.

Personally I only found out alt f4 cheating was possible because of this thread and now I´m down the slippery slope myself, already did it twice.

Lightzy

I think, if you do ironman then do ironman. Not iro...pussyman.
Save on death, save on injury, save on any event (good or bad). Mandatory.
Anything else is cheatable and not ironman.

saves in this game, on my comp, are instantaneous. That's quite amazing. But useful too.

hwfanatic

I'm sorry but this one is on the player one hundred percent. If the player decides to cheat, then it is his or her decision. I am guilty of it myself (although in another game - FTL) but I didn't think to write up the game developers to punish me for my crimes.

Lightzy

It's only if you select ironman.
Ironman is meant for people who want to cheat and want the game itself to stop them from doing it.

Kaiser23k

Does anyone know of a way to edit something to add this or if there is a mod someplace that does this?  Would like to be able to have this feature, also not sure if this would ever be added to the game.

Sola

Completely unnecessary, I think.  It's a single player game.  If you wanna cheat, cheat.  If you don't, don't.  Making the game run slower by forcing arbitrary saves will not make the game more fun for those with less powerful systems.

I play with permadeath on, but if I got arbitrary and forced autosaves every two minutes, I'd definitely turn it off, then play as if permadeath was on in a non-perma mode.

Besides, this wouldn't stop people from save scumming via creating backups of the saves in the file location.  Cheaters will still cheat, and the rest of us will spend more time looking at "Auto-saving...".
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Kegereneku

Unnecessary as well, although I don't mind if someone get it as an option (but it would be superfluous).

The game already have a feature to make us accept death : the "it could have been worse" and "I'm no redoing all this" mantra.
You are happy when you get to survive a very big raid only killing one pawn (who might have been that useless one) and scavenge good equipment.
And even with Quicksave you are simply not encouraged to reload the last day before an event (cause : Random Generation), as you might not get a better result.

Lastly, if someone save-scum, he'll use his own saves (I always save at the start of a raid).
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !