[MOD] (Alpha 6) [LINUX ONLY] AgriBusinessV2: Dye and Fabrics!

Started by C. Fenderson, September 14, 2014, 12:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fenderson

After a few hours of testing, version 2 is out!  Have fun toying with your new plants and workstations!  I'd recommend not using cotton quite yet, since I haven't thought of a good use of it yet.  I might add the ability to compress items down into muslin sacks, which will take a while to add in.

C. Fenderson

Decided to play RimWorld for reasons other than just seeing if stuff worked and everything seems decently balanced.  The bonsai trees kind of suck, but they're not supposed to be amazing sources of wood, they're just supposed to be a little trickle between big projects so you don't have to deforest your whole map right before you start building.  Haven't started any soy production yet, and I don't think I'll be doing dye production.  I think I'll just remove the dye system entirely, because it seems kind of against the overall point of the game.  It doesn't seem like you're supposed to have multiple trees intersecting just to craft a single thing, plus there aren't many, if any, second tier resources in the game at all.
Also, I spelled bonsai wrong in the game itself.  Gedit may be good for coding, but not very good for spell checking.  I'll be changing that next time.

Things I plan to change:
Probably going to remove the dye system.  Seems pointless in retrospect.  Anyone want a poll on this?
I'll (obviously) be removing the grinder and presser completely when I go to the next version.  Deconstruct them now!
I'll implement more uses for cotton, definitely.  Probably in the form of sacks (storage) for use in trading.  This will mostly be for things in the Raw Resources tab.  I might show a picture of how to configure these things to not suck up all of your resources for those of you who don't already know.  Maybe carpets, as well.
I might add more Linux items, just for fun.  I won't focus on references too much, since I know most of you don't give a boomrat's carcass about Linux at all.
I'll be adding fences if I can figure out how Atlases work.  Shouldn't be too hard.
I'll be adding in barn related items.  Red wood walls and 2 wide doors!  Maybe even a tractor if I can get a texture for it.  This will be decorative only, though.
Finally, I'll be changing the default categories for Soy Beans and Okara.  It's annoying as hell to have to untick them for meals that use raw veggies.
One final note: if I add any floors in, they won't ever get dirty.  I hate having to have a colonist dedicated to just cleaning the place up so the rest of them aren't all moody because they have to walk in some dirt.  Wusses.

Should be a productive week!  Thankfully I have an hour of a break between classes on MWF that I can (maybe) use for this.  Have fun with V2 until then!  Report any bugs/problems/suggestions in the comment section and I'll at least read them.  Sorry for the wall of text :D

MisterLock

Now...I should say,awesome mod!I've enjoyed it thus far,being able to grow some kind of other crop other then Potaterz...But I have a few issues,First of all,let me get this out of the Way,I do play with other mods,here's a list of them:Knockouts,Tech Tree Minami,It's event mod and the newly integrated Mobile Artificial Intelligence mod(MAI),I also play with a animal mod:Rimrats and with the Zombie Apocalypse mod.Now that's taken care off to my issues...

First of all,I don't know if this is from your mod or what,but when I try to cultivate something else other the taters and soy beans,none of the other plans give yields,The blackberry bush for example doesn't give anything when harvested,and I don't know if this is in your mod,but some other plant,the onions don't give results either.

I'm also experiencing the soy beans don't produce anything bug,Every time I tell my colonist to crack one of those soy beans into Okara they just grind them and nothing happens...I've just been stuck to cultivating it and using it to make Fine meals.

And my last issue is,In v2 the game just simply won't run with this mod on,I'm still using all my other mods,just when I update your mod in my folder the game blackscreens.It doesn't crash,It's still running technically since It does respond but it just doesn't bring up the main menu,So i've been stuck just to v1 for the time being.I guess the cause could be that some items interferee with each other from my other mods,but eh...I'm not a modder so I cannot do anything.

Hope this helped somewhat,sorry for the long post.
To each his own.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: MisterLock on September 23, 2014, 09:13:41 AM
Now...I should say,awesome mod!I've enjoyed it thus far,being able to grow some kind of other crop other then Potaterz...But I have a few issues,First of all,let me get this out of the Way,I do play with other mods,here's a list of them:Knockouts,Tech Tree Minami,It's event mod and the newly integrated Mobile Artificial Intelligence mod(MAI),I also play with a animal mod:Rimrats and with the Zombie Apocalypse mod.Now that's taken care off to my issues...

Thanks for the compliment!

First of all,I don't know if this is from your mod or what,but when I try to cultivate something else other the taters and soy beans,none of the other plans give yields,The blackberry bush for example doesn't give anything when harvested,and I don't know if this is in your mod,but some other plant,the onions don't give results either.
This one might be your mods, unless no one else has been reporting this.  This part runs fine for me, and I always get 1 soy bean from every harvested plant.

I'm also experiencing the soy beans don't produce anything bug,Every time I tell my colonist to crack one of those soy beans into Okara they just grind them and nothing happens...I've just been stuck to cultivating it and using it to make Fine meals.
I think Linux may have something to do with this.  Someone else said this, and I'm not sure how to fix it, since I can't recreate it.

And my last issue is,In v2 the game just simply won't run with this mod on,I'm still using all my other mods,just when I update your mod in my folder the game blackscreens.It doesn't crash,It's still running technically since It does respond but it just doesn't bring up the main menu,So i've been stuck just to v1 for the time being.I guess the cause could be that some items interferee with each other from my other mods,but eh...I'm not a modder so I cannot do anything.

My girlfriend is having the same issue.  I'll send her a new version with all of the xml files that have a twiddle at the end deleted, since that might have something to do with it not running on Windows.  I didn't expect this many problems to come without a single DLL being made.  It's quite annoying.  Like I said, the version that I had before I zipped the file works, and so does the one from the site itself.  I'll add Linux to the title until I get it working on Windows.  Sorry all of you Windows users out there, I'll work on fixing this for you!
Hope this helped somewhat,sorry for the long post.
It did let me know it wasn't just my girlfriend having an off day or something.  And don't worry about a post being long, Mine are too.

EDIT:
Think I may have found the problem.  I asked in the help section of this forum, and as it turns out Windows doesn't like the way Linux names their line returns.  *Strongly resists the urge to flame Windows for 3 hours straight*
Think I may have found a fix for it.  I'll be uploading a new version of this if I do.  Any Windows user want to let me throw the new version of it at them so I don't provide any false hope to the masses?

skullywag

If you use a proper source control system like Git you can make it handle CRLF (line endings) for you then it doesnt matter which system you do your code on they get set the same when committed to the repo. Id highly recommend looking into it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

C. Fenderson

Quote from: skullywag on September 23, 2014, 05:46:46 PM
If you use a proper source control system like Git you can make it handle CRLF (line endings) for you then it doesnt matter which system you do your code on they get set the same when committed to the repo. Id highly recommend looking into it.
I was considering looking into GitHub for the older versions of the mod once I get it to be bigger, but I'll go ahead and look into it now.  Didn't think I'd ever need to do it for any practical reason with just XML, though.  Oh well, thanks for the advice!

Landerote

Hi there,

With V1 of the mod, I was having the same issue as someone pointed, when using the grinder I was getting nothing. And with V2, the game simply goes in a blackscreen and never starts....

Regards!

MisterLock

Honestly I don't know if I would be a perfect candidate for trying out this new version solely,just because of the other 3-5 mods I run along,I'll just have to see if you do manage to take care of it,thought if you do release a new link for windows I'll surely try it even with my mods.My point is I don't want to be the sole guy that tries it,kinda weird huh?
To each his own.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: MisterLock on September 24, 2014, 03:30:13 PM
Honestly I don't know if I would be a perfect candidate for trying out this new version solely,just because of the other 3-5 mods I run along,I'll just have to see if you do manage to take care of it,thought if you do release a new link for windows I'll surely try it even with my mods.My point is I don't want to be the sole guy that tries it,kinda weird huh?
Gave it to a guy in class today, and it works apparently.  It was just that I didn't save the files with the right Line Endings.  I still want to flame Windows for 3 hours.  Whining about the enter key isn't cool, man.  I'll attach it here if you (or anyone else) wants to try it and confirm/deny that it works fully.  The only bugs I know of right now are that it won't start (probably because of the new cook stove recipe), and that it didn't let people craft soy stuff.  I haven't messed with anything but that so far, so have at it.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]