Change Roofs .. go the final step

Started by SpaceDorf, August 07, 2016, 07:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Somehow roofing and Roomcreation seem to be off. Not really bugged per se, but the game has problems in detecting rooms,
showing roofs and following that temperature regulation.

I have two roofed over indoor farms of the same size. The walls are two thick, with two doors.

One of them suddenly plummeted to -10 degree without me changing something, while the other worked ..
half my colony nearly starved because of that, and I had to butcher most of my livestock, while I searched like crazy for a non existing leak, missing roof tile or whatever happend.

What helped was reconstructing the doors and reinstalling the heaters .. so the room was reset for the game ..

That said, I really like the fact that pawns now have actually build the roofs of their houses.

So to make an actuall suggestion :

Go the final step, make roofs equal to floors constructable out of stuff, and make it either a own category in the architect menu or put it to floors. The different materials, or even rooftypes ( solar comes to mind ) should have different strength against mortars to lure builders outside of the mountains.
I do not want to make it 3d ! I just want to order a roof to be build.

To show build roofs there should be an overlay, like the room or beauty info.
When activated you see where roofs are and which type they are, whats beneath is blocked out.
I think that sounds reasonable and fitting in the general lore and style of rimworld.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Serenity

I'd also like some overlay to show the area where roofs have been constructed. Sometimes pawns do it right away, but sometimes they don't and some part remains unroofed. It's really hard to find gaps as it is.

SpaceDorf

Exactly what I mean.
At least if the room is detected right, the game tells you how many tiles are unroofed,
if not .. you are screwed.

Serenity

Oh, you already mentioned that. Missed that line :(

It's a bit weird how roofing is prioritized. Sometimes they do the entire roof in one quick go after putting up walls. Other times they just run away to do other stuff and you have to check whether and where a room leaks.

SpaceDorf

keylocke

it's better if they just treat roofs the same way like floors. so you need to build it with actual materials. and there's this toggle button to make the roof visible or invisible so players can actually see what their base looks like with roof on. (maybe even make ascii art with their roofs)

different materials have different strengths which can help it survive mortar blasts or deal larger amounts of damage to raiders who crash through your stone roofs.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: keylocke on August 07, 2016, 10:54:31 AM
it's better if they just treat roofs the same way like floors. so you need to build it with actual materials. and there's this toggle button to make the roof visible or invisible so players can actually see what their base looks like with roof on. (maybe even make ascii art with their roofs)

different materials have different strengths which can help it survive mortar blasts or deal larger amounts of damage to raiders who crash through your stone roofs.

right, exactly what I meant ( and thought said :) )

winddbourne

I love this suggestion and hope it gets implemented ASAP.

Serenity

So badly needed. I currently have on of these situations where the fuckers just won't build the roof and I can't find what's missing. Even with right clicking everywhere and trying to prioritize.

SpaceDorf

You could lock him in until the roof is build :)

But I am glad this suggestion is appreciated so much