Cant start new game after Crashlanding mod uninstalled

Started by Katavrik, August 07, 2016, 12:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katavrik

This bug happens with my mod Crashlanding: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8967.0

The mod contains two new scenarios. If you edit one of them, preferably hard one, and save as a new scenario. Then uninstall the mod, and start a new game. There will be an error, and you still be in main menu. You cant start new game.

Exact steps:
1. Install Crashlanding mod
2. Start the game
3. Select this mod
4. Click "new colony"
5. Select "Crashlanding Hard" Scenario, and click Scenario Editor.
6. Add something (Start with: uranium 50).
7. Save scenario.
8. Return to main menu
9. Uncheck crahslanding mod
10. Click "new colony", And get an error.
11. You can click "new colony" many times, but cant start the game.

I think the problem is in custom scenParts Crashlanding has. They use a custon class and a code. When you create a new scenario, base on a crashlanding ones, it still has that scenParts. When the mod is disabled, and you are trying to start a new game, the game find these scenarios since they are not the part of crashlanding mod. I.e. mod`s original scenarios located in mod folder, and removed from game with the mod. But the new ones are located elsewhere, and still present while the mod is uninstalled. Game cant find corresponding scenParts and fail to start.

The major issue with this bug, is not in error message. But in the fact that you cant start the game until you install the mod and delete such scenarios manually.
I think it is related with this topic: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=22702.0

output_log.txt in attachment

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Reviire

Did you remember to restart the game? But, trying to use something that uses a mod, with that mod disabled, probably isn't going to work out for you.

Nevermind, I see what you're saying.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

milon

What happens if you restart RimWorld between steps 9 & 10?  Does it still cause the error?

Katavrik

Quote from: milon on August 08, 2016, 11:09:57 AM
What happens if you restart RimWorld between steps 9 & 10?  Does it still cause the error?
Yes.
You can even delete scenario file in LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Scenarios\ but it still fail to start, because the game restores scenario from steam somehow. You need to delete scenario through the game editor.

milon

Quote from: Katavrik on August 08, 2016, 12:45:49 PM
... the game restores scenario from steam somehow. You need to delete scenario through the game editor.

Correct - that's Steam Sync hard at work.  Either delete it from in-game, or else disable Steam Sync for RimWorld, delete the file(s), and run RimWorld at least once before re-enabling Steam Sync.

Is this issue fixed for you?

Katavrik

Quote from: milon on August 12, 2016, 04:15:01 PM
Is this issue fixed for you?

Personally, i dont have a problem with that issue, since i understand its origin. I wrote this, since there are some players (Crashlanding users), who fall in this trap and dont understand what happened and how to fix this. I cant fix it in my mod, so i post it here. I've already post warnings in my mod topics, both there and on steam.