[Request]VATS-like mod

Started by thenflux, August 07, 2016, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenflux

Hi I'm fairly new to the forums so I don't know if such mod exists yet.

I'm looking for a mod that is similar to V.A.T.S or selective aiming or targeting.
The game statistics for body parts for pawns... so why not have a mod that enables selecting body parts to hit.
It might sound too OP if paired with other mods, but that's how it is.
If the mod doesn't exist yet, here are some suggestions about for making it.

• Rightclick option to select a body part to keep targeting. Option to just shoot or hit the target should still be an available
  • Melee weapon hits have a higher percentage of hitting and cutting/destroying body parts than ranged weapons.
  • Weapon spread should be taken into account unless it is a launcher type weapon
  • Headshots should kill 90% of the time if hit unless wearing decent headgears. Aiming for the head gives a chance to hit the neck. 10% should hit facial parts like eyes, nose, mouth...
  • Body shots should spread hitting different organs. 35% chance to hit either lung, 35% hit stomach, 10% to hit heart, 5% to hit kidney, 5% to hit liver. Maybe give a 1% chance to hit spine as well
  • Targeting the arms should hit shoulders, arms, hands/fingers and weapon. Obviously, hitting the arms or the weapon should disarm the target but wont leave the item forbidden. Lower chances of hitting the weapon and hands/fingers
  • Targeting the legs should have a chance to hit the pelvis, legs, knees(?), feet, toes. Hitting them should slow down the target considerably. Destroying the part should render them immobile or put them in the "in-shock" status. Similar to hands/fingers, should be a lower chance to hit.
  • Targeting Centepede rings should apply proper debuffs
  • Targeting Scyther should be similar to human pawns. Instead of eyes or mouth or ears, replace with sensors.
  • Targeting animal limbs should have lower chances compared to targeting the body (except for snakes duh)
  • Selective aiming should really scale well with the shooting skill and shooting modifiers. Guns type and quality should also have an impact with the hit accuracy and hit chance.
I'm sure that this mod could exist because there are other much more complex mods around.

Reviire

I'm pretty sure font sizes are in pt, not %.

Otherwise, I'd like a mod that lets me prioritize different body parts. Head for killshots, legs for downs. Torso for highest hit chance etc.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Illusion Distort

This would be a cool mod, and we have poeple on the forum that can make this a reality. Having this would make larger colonies possible.

However, to make it "fair"/"vanilla-friendly" it would have to to be nerfed in some way.
(having it vanilla friendly would give it lots of replay value)

Besides, most of the fun is the hurried medical operations performed on the poor fellah that lost his entire family in a raid gone bad.

And such a system you speak of is naturally hard to balance/make a fun experience. But im sure someone will come up with some way this can be done, the right way. :D

Reviire

Quote from: Illusion Distort on August 09, 2016, 10:27:11 PM
This would be a cool mod, and we have poeple on the forum that can make this a reality. Having this would make larger colonies possible.

However, to make it "fair"/"vanilla-friendly" it would have to to be nerfed in some way.
(having it vanilla friendly would give it lots of replay value)

Besides, most of the fun is the hurried medical operations performed on the poor fellah that lost his entire family in a raid gone bad.

And such a system you speak of is naturally hard to balance/make a fun experience. But im sure someone will come up with some way this can be done, the right way. :D
It's not really hard to balance. Give the targeted body part a hit chance increase, while lowering the hit chance of all other parts, you could throw all the targeting stuff in an xml file probably. Something basic could be to halve the hit chance of all other body parts, and double it for the one you're targeting.

For example, head could go from 10 - 20% hit chance, while torso would go from 80% to 40%. So you have a lower chance overall to hit them, but you have a higher chance to hit the bodypart you want to specifically hit.

I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Illusion Distort

But would not this mean that you have an overall lower chance of hitting the pawn in general?
Since only one gets dubled and the others are halved...

notfood

hmmm maybe some sort of build up system. A pawn shooting, missing, hitting, killing slowly builds up some meter. When it's full you get to "crit" somebody in a part of your choosing with different chances. Adrenaline perhaps?

thenflux

Quote from: Illusion Distort on August 12, 2016, 02:17:46 PM
But would not this mean that you have an overall lower chance of hitting the pawn in general?

true that if you specify to target a limb, the overall accuracy would increase for the limb however the chance of hitting the target decreases. in someway the mechanics of the mod balances itself out.

Reviire

Quote from: Illusion Distort on August 12, 2016, 02:17:46 PM
Yea that's pretty much it. You target the torso if you just want to hit them, you target the head if you want to go for killshots. Legs to cripple.

Tapkevich

I'll go through most of your suggestions:

1. Melee weapon hits have a higher percentage of hitting and cutting/destroying body parts than ranged weapons.
They already have 100% hit chance, only thing that matters is your colonist melee skill lvl and his health condition. While with ranged weapon you need to take into account distance, trees, rocks etc. And some top-tier melee weapon,like platsteel sword, can easily cut hand or leg in 1 hit.

2.Weapon spread should be taken into account unless it is a launcher type weapon
By having different accuracies you have different spread of weapon on different distances. Now it works a little dull, but anyway it is in game now.

3.All this stuff about targeting.

It actually already in game, but realisation is not straight forward. When you hit your opponent game roll a dice and decide where you will hit. so chancec to hit different part of body calculated on hit. With percent of body surface in mind. you get same system you want to implement.

Here is an example. You have rifle with 100% accuracy and enemy. You tell him to aim at hand. What chance to hit a hand will be ? If you want it to be realistic, then i would say near 20% max. So in ideal situation you will hit only one of 5 bullets. That means that you technicaly lose dmg of 4 bullets you shot. Seems like useless feature. If you take into account, that major reason enemy pawns lie down or die (exept mechas) is pain you inflict on them. And pain got straight correlation with dmg done to pawn. So in the end we will have system that dosent add anything. You can raise chance but almost always it will be better to shot using vanila targeting system. If you keep current health system.

4.Headshots already almost gurantee kill or down now, unless you fire some small arms.

5.About crits. Hittin heart of enemy with random bullet is analog of crit hit. You got 2 points of interest that will leave to death almost certanly. Its heart and brain. If you hit them you can say that you got crit hit. Any other implementation of crit hit will be pointless, considering dmg weapon doing  and health colonists parts have.