Relation to Prison Architect

Started by Hypolite, September 16, 2013, 02:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypolite

I don't want to start any feud in there, or call in plagiarism of any sort, but Rimworld (previously called Starship Architect) reminds of Prison Architect, currently in a very popular alpha development by Introversion Software studio. Is that because the tools used to create both games are the same, or is there any closer or more personal relation to Prison Architect?

I personaly thinks that both games can go along very well, I was just curious about the possible sources of inspiration of Rimworld.

Tynan

I drew some inspiration from PA. Moreso from its own inspiration, Dwarf Fortress.

We don't share any tools. Chris at IV has his own tech foundation; I built this one on Unity.

But they do look somewhat similar; that's my fault. I'm not a good enough artist to come up with a really good original look. There are only so many ways to render characters on a tiny grid without using animations.

I hope the differences between the game will be enough for people to look past the aesthetic similarities. And if I get some funding at some point I can get an artist to help develop a more unique look.

I do think the similarities are skin-deep. In gameplay the game resembles DF much more than PA.

How did you know I used to call it Starship Architect? That was back in March... I didn't think I ever mentioned that anywhere. CREEPY :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

Thank you for the answer, as I said in my email yesterday, I've been following your blog for a little while now, and you mentioned its former name in a blog post dated from September 5th.

Like I said, I really think that both games can go along together, and if you had opted for an isometric look with voxels, I would have ask about the resemblance with Towns, another game in that vein.

UsF

Watching the trailer, I was sure that I recognized some sounds from Prison Architect. The art style is the main point visible and I am not sure if people might get mad at it. It is such a clean and nice style and should be used in more tile based games. Wonder what the original artist from PA thinks about it. Either he is mad, doesn't care or is flattered that his art style has found acceptance.  :D

Belmakor

First up thank you for making this game.  It looks fantastic.  I have got a copy of PA and I just can't get into the whole theme.  There is after all only so much a prisoner is able to do!

However like the original OP said, I would be very careful about potential litigation (I am not a lawyer) of using the same art style.  Seems to me to be far too uncanny and therefore its likely it will be seen as a blatant attempt to hijack on the back of PA's success.  I don't think the theme is enough to justify the change, as it could just as likely be a free to play (developer sanctioned) mod.  Might want to check with a solicitor if you haven't done so already?

I personally would prefer if you went for a more gritty realism art style

I'm thinking that even something akin to Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer top down looks would be great.  You can definitely get in enough characterization using just hair colour, skin colour, build, hair length and clothing without needing facial features.

Hypolite

Quote from: Belmakor on September 18, 2013, 09:53:55 AM
First up thank you for making this game.  It looks fantastic.  I have got a copy of PA and I just can't get into the whole theme.  There is after all only so much a prisoner is able to do!

I'm in the same spot. I pre-ordered Prison Architect because it looked like a good idea and because I loved all previous Introversion Software games, but in the end, I didn't quite enjoyed it as much as I hoped to. My main problem was that the game was throwing new inmates at you regularly, but adding/expanding building is a very risky business with so much potentially violent prisoners running around, looking for exits.

I prefer the Rimworld approach separated between action phases and quiet phases, named dark and light phases in the game.

UsF

They changed the "throwing prisoner at you" mechanic to you being able to choose if you want more or not. It is an option now. :)

Hypolite

Glad to hear it, it's been a while since I played it. I'm waiting for the full version now, there is already enough people testing it and I contributed my fair share :)

The Ataraxist

So probably something relavent to this topic is the new post on the blog.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2013/09/seeking-artist/

Looks like maybe the PA artwork is only placeholder perhaps?

Syphus

Quote from: The Ataraxist on September 18, 2013, 04:40:59 PM
So probably something relavent to this topic is the new post on the blog.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2013/09/seeking-artist/

Looks like maybe the PA artwork is only placeholder perhaps?

That is more or less what he said on the DF forum page.

Tynan

Quote from: Belmakor on September 18, 2013, 09:53:55 AM
I personally would prefer if you went for a more gritty realism art style

I'm thinking that even something akin to Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer top down looks would be great.  You can definitely get in enough characterization using just hair colour, skin colour, build, hair length and clothing without needing facial features.

I agree.

It's funny, there are only actually about 12 frames of character art in the whole game. If those were swapped out, would anyone really care?

I just really need to get an artist who can develop a RimWorld style. It just hasn't happened yet, everything right now is pretty much pseudo-temp in that it looks okay but I know we can do better. Even things like beds can look better than they do, and get different versions for the front, side, and back view to add some nice perspective-like effects.

I thought I'd have more time to work out this issue... the response to that one video I kicked out in like 5 hours has been stronger than expected. The game isn't quiiiiiiite developed enough to take on this much scrutiny. But it'll mature.

Tynan

Just to update this, I have talked with Ryan Sumo, the artist on PA, and he's fully supportive of RimWorld. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

Still working on getting an artist.

The Ataraxist

UsF

Do you want the game to be good? ;) I guess consistency is a key word here. Content must match each other and form a theme.