Why did you back Rimworld?

Started by Christian, October 13, 2013, 02:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian

Curious, what appealed to you to back the game?
---
For me it was a number of factors. I had been hesitant to back because $20 seemed a bit high for a tier. But the game just speaks to my love for realistic gritty sci-fi, and for my love of emergent storytelling. The potential depth of the modules and the player stories are equally fascinating

Then there's the addition of tactical combat. And finally I admire the developer for not adding stretch goals and just focusing on making the best possible experience, not diluting the game with inconsequential additions and add-ons

Semmy

well he mumbled something about
dune
dwarf fortress
warhammer 40K
firefly
and i cant remember the rest. TBH that was enough
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Pheanox

Something something sci fi.  Something something Dune.  Something something Firefly.

British

Quote from: Christian on October 13, 2013, 02:49:21 AM
Curious, what appealed to you to back the game?
I'd rather ask... what didn't ? ???

Gazz

An infantry tactics engine so "RTS" fights are more than sending a blob of units to eradicate the enemy blob of units.

Naturally less detail than in something like JA but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. The scale of the game dictates the level of detail. Or it should. In JA 2 v1.13, those modders went batshit crazy with the detail. =P

Fodd

Well, they had me at "Influences/inspiration from Dwarf Fortress" and in space. Then i heard the music, and I was suddenly "MINE!!!!"

Zeiph

The reasons I backed Rimworld is... because it looks awesome ! (could I ask for a tiny pet dinosaure for my PK? pleeeeasee o_o)

salt1219

@Zeiph i would love to hear what you have planned for your PK

anyway back on topic.  I backed because i have always believed in game play over graphics and i'm a sucker for indie sim/strategy games.  having seen the lets plays i was very impressed at how developed this game already was, more kickstarters should take notes.

i would have only backed at the 30$ level if it wasn't for the chance to add something of my own to it.
you could say designer level was calling my name

Haplo

I'm on the same mind as salt1219:
Normally I would only go with the lowest price on kickstarter to get the game, but here I liked it so much, that I wanted a bit of myself in it.
Even if I'm not that free on my money to go with PK or Designer, at least you'll find me in something small and insignificant.
Ho ho ho ho... and a bottle of rum.. 8)

Dohon

It was actually a mixture of things that have already been mentioned by others in this thread.

* Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, Warhammer 40K inspiration? Hell yes.
* Jagged Alliance 2-alike combat engine? Hell yes!
* Original Sci-Fi approach? Hell YES!

I was so impressed that I threw way more money at this project than I normally would. So, I am really looking forward to it!

Keystone

The Videos of the game made me feel warm inside, so I backed.

I was drinking tea at the time, so the warmth could have come from either source.

GC13

I love the genre, so I was happy to see such a promising example come up.

I mean, come on. Who doesn't want to build their own space colony? Yeah, I didn't think so.

SteveAdamo

i was obviously impressed with the overall concept, but it was Tynan's refreshing outlook on the campaign itself, and game design that really intrigued me...

Discords Chaos

Quite liked the idea of story driven gameplay in an RTS setting. I't not often done outside a scripted campaign and that's what shows me promise.

Also reading though his stance on Stretch goals made me feel that I'm kickstarting a game that's going to feel great being developed (like Kerbal Space Program) rather than a game that sounds great being developed., but nothing exciting happens until much later. (Like Star Citizen)

There are already visible and working game mechanics and I love nothing more than riding the development train. Being able to come back to a game every so often and having new things to play with refreshes the experience. Being a developer I'm also interested in modding and what might be possible in Rimworld.

JoeJackT

Quote from: Semmy on October 13, 2013, 02:51:43 AM
well he mumbled something about
dune
dwarf fortress
warhammer 40K
firefly
and i cant remember the rest. TBH that was enough

this + mod support + sims city type environment + colony break down drama + possible space station 13 like mayhem + MOD SUPPORT = possible all this + mechs. = ???? =