Why did you back Rimworld?

Started by Christian, October 13, 2013, 02:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UsF

I like early access and watching games grow while at the same time helping out a developer getting his game made and not being subject to a marketing campaign or the normal release hype building up. I like it calm. :)

From a gameplay standpoint, I like management games and systems that need to be conquered as well as sandbox style games that offer lots of re-playability and discovery.

RoseyNineOneOne

A sci-fi game about creating a colony. I like colony/fort/city building in sci-fi or fantasy or etc. genres with constant dangers all around me. 'Tis why I like Dwarf Fortress so much.

Vandigeth

I really enjoy this type of game and think that mainstream gaming has really left me out. I don't play FPS and real action heavy games. I really like Prison Architect but find the prison atmosphere rather limiting. The idea of a sci-fi space colony is brilliant for all the possibilities it brings.

I feel that in the spirit of full disclosure I must say that I've played Dwarf Fortress off and on for four years now. While I absolutely adore DF, the slow pace of updates and underwhelming progress it makes puts me in a position where I'm thirsting for more. I suppose if I have enough "developing games" to switch and feed on new content every couple months then I feel like I'm just paying my way into a video game buffet.

For instance, forgive any name dropping, but the recent release of early access Spacebase DF-9 from Double Fine is another one in which I'm greatly interested. While it's feature poor right now, if it updates once a month... and Prison Architect updates once a month... and Rimworld updates once a month (not saying any of those are promises)... UnReal World updates once in a while... DF updates once a year... and other early access/ongoing development games that I'm participating in update at intervals then I'm constantly burying my face in new content. That's what I love about projects like these. I get to watch, participate, and revel in so many ongoing projects that I feel like I'm constantly surrounded with new stuff after paying the admission fee. I'm psyched :D

Shew, I'm done.

Dejix

The short list:
Good idea.
Excellent work already done.
Friendly community.
Social and active developer.

All in all an excellent investment in my opinion. The experience of seeing things grow and even helping them do so is icing on the cake.

Dodd

Most of the reasons above are very valid and bang-on for me. I loved FTL, and I see the inspiration with it... I love these kind of games and I think the idea's fantastic.

I also went to elementary school with Ty way back in the day, so more than happy to support an old friend in his (awesome) endeavour.

C.B. Klausberger

Easy three-answer thing:

• Clear Statement about current Project and Reputation of the Developer
  • Very convincing Concept, including a working pre-Alpha
  • Good combination in terms of choosen Setting (Western-Furturistic), Complexity and Genre-Mix
Watch my newest (german speaking) Let´s Play Episodes of RimWorld @ https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingDerli or follow on Twitter http://twitter.com/flyingDerli

Tynan

Quote from: Dodd on October 18, 2013, 12:20:33 PM
Most of the reasons above are very valid and bang-on for me. I loved FTL, and I see the inspiration with it... I love these kind of games and I think the idea's fantastic.

I also went to elementary school with Ty way back in the day, so more than happy to support an old friend in his (awesome) endeavour.

Hello there Mr. Dodd!

Everyone - These are very interesting to read.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

tomigutt

Lots of reasons, but I did not need every one of them.
- I love sandbox games
- I love Sci fi everything
- I love "God games"
- I love DF
- I thought the AI storytellers were interesting
- I enjoyed the video on the Kickstarter, thought Tynan looked and sounded like someone that deserved some early founding.

I think the game looks awesome and are really looking forward to experiencing  it in person when the kickstarter ends.
I also get to push my name unto others, which is AWESOME!

mumblemumble

RNG of FTL (as well as some story aspects)
Building aspects of dwarf fortress (never played it, but the building aspects in this are great, and in a way that I can understand)
combat similar to XCOM enemy unknown somewhat (at least it seems that way).

And a Dev who seems like he will REALLY stick with his project unlike many kick-starter devs. The fact hes had 2 updates so far during kick-starter in the press copy is evidence enough to this. And despite being pre-alpha, his game already resembles the quality other fully done games, so having this funded I think will only make it better.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

LobsterSundew

Upon seeing RimWorld launch I had a Futurama "Shut up and take my money" moment. I see RimWorld as potentially one of the games that will replace FTL as the game I regularly play. FTL is finally starting to become less interesting now that most of the challenge is gone for me even on normal mode.

I also played a lot of Tremulous back around 2006-2007 where I learned to enjoy efficiently placing automated defense turrets. When I finally get to play RimWorld I'll likely start experimenting with base defenses.
A backer of over 600 crowdfunding campaigns.

Brendon

Well, first noticed the game through Sacriel's stream on twitch, watched for a few hours then Tynan came and started chatting about the game on stream and i was hooked :p .

Peldorain

EnterElysium's Video, and the fact that it is a game-type that I have been looking for, for an extremely long time. Prison Architect didn't appeal to me(setting I guess), and Spacebase DF-9 is so incredibly bad playing(got it on steam early access, like your tech's don't repair ANYTHING, but it is an alpha so that will hopefully change). However, yea after watching some LP's it got even more interesting, because I just wanted to see if the ways that I thought of in my head of building stuff would work.

Noxmutagen

It's basically Dwarf Fortress with animations, graphics, lighting, features, and a real shot to make a ton of money and appeal to a wide audience. (also mechs)

heng

the selling point for me: adaptive AI storyteller...
if(!) tynan can pull this off, this would be the first game i can think of promising a gaming experience similar to pen and paper dungeons and dragons sessions. not an endless challenge until you keel over and die (tetris), not the game against the player and only one can win (any other game, really)... but rather a game that understands the necessity of tension as motivation, yet focussing on continuing the story. like a true Game Master would in real life...

plus a chance to see my name in the game, prepare to get raided by my personal pirat raider ;-)))

... oh, and mentioning firefly *g*

SweetLogan

Dejix got most of it for me.

It also scratches the sandbox itch. (I reinstalled Pharaoh a while back for this persistent desire)

The reason that made me create a kickstarter account and commit was the presence of gameplay vids on youtube.  Those were key for me.

Tynan being active and engaging with backers, fans, forum members made me happy to kick my backing up a notch.  Plus, it'd be cool to put Sweet Logan into a random raider occasionally.. that or Muffalo Bill. Humm... decisions.

Even if it Tynan takes it in a direction that doesn't entirely appeal to me, personally, I'm sure it will be a solid game and I'm happy to support that.