Why did you back Rimworld?

Started by Christian, October 13, 2013, 02:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_T

One of the YouTubers (Zemalf) I routinely watch did a LP and after watching the first episode I was hooked. Watching the raiders intelligently take cover behind rubble while attacking the colony gave me chills lol. I was extremely impressed with the fact that it was PRE-Alpha because just watching it made me count the hours until I could get my hands on it even in this stage. Needless to say I am sure we are all on the edge of our seats for the next stage of development.

Muxsey

I backed it after seeing an obviously dedicated person behind it on kickstarter via the PA forums, honestly.. the whole game/idea is brilliant and I'm starting to love Indie games moreso than big ones lately, it just seems that a lot more goes into them and they really listen to their community more.

The community here was also a big turning point for me - believe me going on to a forum and not seeing the usual everywhere is great.

Mucephorous

I saw a youtube video of it and thought it looked interesting, first thing I've supported on kickstarter and feel like it was the right thing :)

Kannata

Just fucking brilliant.
And that he used the same architect thing as Prison Architect got me even more interested. I found this game on Facepunch and I'm gonna back $30 soon.

nerys

watched a youtube video (scott manley I think?? does Kerbal videos) anyway fell in love instantly.

had to back. decided spending $20 what the hell spend another $20 get a name in the game :-)

REALLY hope he can make it seriously epic. I have been tinkering with it the last day and it has huge potential.

Foul

There was a Rock Paper Shotgun article about the game a month or two ago, then another about the kickstarter which is when I got on board.

I love Dwarf fortress and old bullfrog games. Rimworld has been a dream game of mine for years.

UNAgamer

Pretty simple really. I turned 30, got thinking about what I want to do with my life, and was thinking about how I should finally go all-in on learning C++ properly so I can make that colony game I always wanted.

...then I see a Scott Manley video showing the game and basically go all "omg someone else is already making it!"

Was a quick turn from that to putting my money in. :)
(And besides, the exchange rate is fairly awesome for me right now.)

IPOOPonUCLA

Dwarf Fortress with an interface, plus I love Prison Architect.

Veneke

Colony-building in a Firefly-inspired 'verse with a decent combat system. Here's my wallet, and my credit card and some bank account details for you...

Dragula

I'm not hindered by any knowledge of the major influences other than JA2 but when i saw the video on kickstarter i was intrigued. More LP video's got me hooked, the storytelling-style over a fixed plot or aimlessly building a colony basically won me over.
And Ty seems like an okay dude, determined to get this working and worth my backing.

Bedshaped

I've only ever backed two projects on kickstarter; Faster Than Light and Rim-World. Both times it was because I saw talented developers working on unique games who were already hard at work and had a clear and concise plan moving forward.

I found out about the game through Scott Manley and really loved the colony and random encounter aspects. Pledged $22 CAD.

TankaaKumawani

I was yet another Scott Manley convert.  After a somewhat lackluster experience with Spacebase DF9, I went looking for a better space colony simulator (after having much fun playing with the Baystation 12 crowd) and found RimWorld.  The surprisingly competent AI, accessible interface, and minimalistic graphics presentation (it's a good compromise between Dwarf Fortress and full 3D) made it worth my while.

The chance to have an engineer/technician/researcher with my name running around in the game was...too appealing, I think.

Scelestic

I hadn't heard of the game until i saw a video on it by Scott Manley, and like the poster above.. Spacebase DF-9 is interesting but it is lacking in content right now- but it did incite my need to find a game like it- In comes Rimworld.
I like the concept of Rimworld, although I have yet to actually play it. The semi-survival, semi-strategy, all simulation rather easily drew me in and had me interested in what the game would be like in a few months with more development.

Leird

I saw the game on RockPaperShotgun. Watched some let's play on youtube, and then i fell utterly in love with it!

Daveodeth

The one and only reason is no one makes this kind of game and I'm willing to stump up cash to get it done. Supply and Demand baby.