Community mods pack

Started by AcDie, March 02, 2014, 02:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What you think about include mods into bigger one?

Agree
Not agree
Don't want lose my copyrights
I'm muffalo

AcDie

Well since we have more things for modding, our "mods" section growth like accele-potato :o
So i have simple question above..Btw don't forget to discuss your opinion here  8)

DarkXess

Of course this is a good idea but also one that has many bridges to cross as it often has problem with more mods put together in a pack or working together. Some would probably use the same coding and changes of the default game which another relies on.

Rokiyo

On the one hand, I'm a huge fan of community collaboration.

On the other, I recognise that being part of a community adds overhead that can sometimes be inconvenient.

As long as we can all continue to contribute freely to the collective pool of knowledge, I'm perfectly happy for anything I produce to be included in a community pack.

Sunspots

Quote from: DarkXess on March 02, 2014, 03:10:41 AM

Of course this is a good idea but also one that has many bridges to cross as it often has problem with more mods put together in a pack or working together. Some would probably use the same coding and changes of the default game which another relies on.
Which is why a well-curated mod pack could be reviewed and made sure that all the mods work together.

DarkXess

Yea of  course, but in the past with other mod packs such as the Ace2 mod pack for the Arma series for example, it came with many many problems at first and then more came along as more parts got added, they also had a good modding team working on it so ... I am not saying its bad to do, just a big project which will come with its problems  ::)

Architect

I would agree with it, but the system needs to go through a few tweaks yet. Once there's a sturdy community for it, probably by alpha 4, I'll be fully in support of it.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Haplo

Here is my "I agree too, but.." post.

In principle I am fully for a community driven "base mod". But I think the problem will be the logistics behind it all. Who defines what, what to do, if two want to change the same thing, and so on.
I myself try to be as minimal inversive to anything other than the core as possible, but some things just aren't as independent right now as it may need to be. Just take a look at the traders right now :)

So there may need to be some serious conflict management, or waiting for betterment in alpha 3 or 4  8)

Sunspots

Good examples on well structured mod packs for minecraft that are worth looking at, are FTB and Tekkit. As far as I understand it, all mods are tested and reviewed to work together by the team who manages the pack. It is a lot of integration work when adding new mods to a pack but I think it's worth it.

Evul

As long as there is a credit. :) And link to the mod and the author approval by message or if the author allow it in some kind of agreement at the page. :)

Always better to ask. :)

Kilroy232

I fully agree with the idea. It would make looking for and getting a specific type of mod group people may want easy. I personally this type of thing for Minecraft and Garrys mod.

My only real concern is who would put such a thing together and make sure that each mod works properly with one another? If changes needed to be made to a mod who would do it, the created of the mod or the person (people?) compiling the mod pack? Also the issue of credit comes into play for some people. In the case of Garrys mod credit is lost very quickly but that is also due to the shear number of mods available.

I know I am not really a big deal or anything on this forum but these are what comes to mind for me. I am not really asking these questions specifically either, its just food for thought, and like I said I do like the idea :)
Kilroy232

daft73

This is not only a good idea, it can bring modders together...and make massive projects.
I spend a lot of time at Civfanatics, and that modding community is just fantastic. The modders all generally have their own projects, but as well come together to make works of magic.
It allows for the creators time to learn different aspects of modding from their fellow modders..which is always a good thing.
Sure their will be the occasional moments of strife, but as peeps get to know each others strengths/weaknesses..ying and yang start to come in, balancing it all out.

WorldOfIllusion

modpacks of a sort seem like a great idea. And, hopefully, creating some shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure there are plenty of mods that could currently be compatible (as many mods don't actually overwrite core content, rather just add their own).
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

daft73

Quote from: Cala13er on March 05, 2014, 09:32:03 AM
If this mod pack goes forward. I request that my Industrial RIM Mod is not included without further contacting me about it.

Sorry,
Calum.
...Well considering this should be done only by permission, where people are splitting the workload. At least that is how I envision the process would work.
Someone would be lead, all would collaborate together picking their strengths..and moving forward.

Not some crazy modder randomly putting things together..that is just leading towards disaster.

Cala13er

Ahhh I see. In that case I'm up for it. Obviously my mod is alpha 3 only though.

daft73

Quote from: Cala13er on March 05, 2014, 11:55:36 AM
Ahhh I see. In that case I'm up for it. Obviously my mod is alpha 3 only though.

Glad I could sway your opinion, though I'm not obviously leading this project(or even really directly involved). At other forum mod sites this is generally the thought process.  ;)