Community mods pack

Started by AcDie, March 02, 2014, 02:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What you think about include mods into bigger one?

Agree
Not agree
Don't want lose my copyrights
I'm muffalo

Psyckosama

I'll offer up all of my mods for this.

ItchyFlea

Depending on whether or not my mod interferes with Industrial RIM, (It has trees, I have fleas... I mean trees.) I'm willing to have my Wood Economy mod added.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Adam561

I personally think that this is a great idea... If ts done right. All of the current mods all have to follow the same XML structure and can overwrite some of the original XML code. So making 5-10 mods work together wouldibt be too hard, just time consuming.

I think that this is a great project to work on to bring the modding community together. I would be extremely happy to join a team (if there is one) of people putting a pack together. So in other words... COUNT ME IN
==Adam561==
==Mod Author and Designer==
==RimWorld==
www.adam561mods.webs.com

Darker

No chance to keep it all up-to-date. Also, this removes the option to only select some mods to use.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Adam561

With alpha 3 there might be a way to rewrite the way some mods are loaded, I haven't looked into the source though, just making a guess.

An example: have 3 mod folders inside a main mod pack folder "myModpack/modA, modB, modC" so the mod loader would just look inside one more directory. This would allow for mods to be enabled and disabled inside the pack
==Adam561==
==RimWorld==
www.adam561mods.webs.com

Darker

Why not just download 3 mods and enable/disable them using the currently implemented system?

Adam561

This would allow for all of the mods to be in 1 folder so your mods folder doesn't get cluttered with 10 or so folders. It is also "easier and more manageable" to move 1 folder than 10 folders (I think). This would make it easy and more manageable for those special noobs who can't move multiple folders from one place to another
==Adam561==
==RimWorld==
www.adam561mods.webs.com

Darker

If you can move one folder, I'm sure you can move n+1 folders. So you can even move ten.
QED

Would that be worth of the mods not being updated? Basically, what would that by more than merging multiple folders in one?

Cala13er

Stop being so against it, get over yourself. If they want to make a mod pack then let them. That's like going to the Minecraft forums and telling everyone that modpacks are pointless because of forge.

Darker

I'm not telling anyone not to do it. However I have enough arguments why this is a waste of time. You could make more mods instead.

But of course, go on merging XML files together if that's the best you can do :P

Cala13er

You're full of yourself, grow up and stop being such a downer about it. Seriously.

If you're really that fussed about someone wanting to make a modpack, go onto Minecraft. Find Technic. Message the writers and tell them their modpacks are completely pointless because of forge. Because that's just dragging and dropping folders into another folder. Stop being such a dark ray.

Darker

I don't understand why should I contact anyone about something in minecraft. I don't know how their modpacks work on minecraft. I don't care. We're talking about RimWorld here.

Be so kind and stop insulting me.

Adam561

Darker does have a point, at this point all a mod pack is is a collection of mods that anybody could put together. What a worthwhile and good mod pack adds is a balance mod. One that challenges the player to use every aspect of a mod to move on to the next one. So I can understand how making one for alpha 2/3 (maybe 4) would be "not worth it" or whatever. Until there is a very direct way to tie mods together and make one depend on the other, mod packs will just be a collection of mods, and not a pack of mods that function and work together to challenge the player
==Adam561==
==RimWorld==
www.adam561mods.webs.com

Cala13er

Adam. I never said it wasn't. I know It is.

Just he doesn't have to be such a downer about someone wanting to make a mod pack! Seriously most pathetic thing to argue about.

Adam561

Ok, I see now.

Just trying to make sure both sides of the discussion were visible
==Adam561==
==RimWorld==
www.adam561mods.webs.com