[A14] Muzzy-Utils (updated 2016-08-09)

Started by mzbear, August 08, 2016, 07:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mzbear

Muzzy-Utils

Description
My personal utilities for RimWorld that other people might find useful as well. Currently includes filter for fresh items and a simple mood visualization in the colonist bar. I might add more things whenever I need something more.

Download
http://hack.fi/~muzzy/tools/rimworld/muzzy-utils_2016-08-09.zip

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=739305991

License
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Changelog
2016-08-08: Initial release with freshness filter and mood indicators
2016-08-09: FIX: Freshness filter was broken for ThingsWithComps (stone chunks etc!), requiring "allow fresh" to use them (oops).

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Kaaven

Seems like a GUI-only mod, but just to be on the safe side: is this mod save-friendly, or does it require a fresh start?

DOMA

biship

mzbear

Quote from: Kaaven on August 08, 2016, 09:21:27 AM
Seems like a GUI-only mod, but just to be on the safe side: is this mod save-friendly, or does it require a fresh start?

Didn't require starting a new game for me :)

The fresh filter does end up in the save files, but the default value is to always allow fresh stuff which is the vanilla behavior. So adding that to an old save shouldn't break anything, and removing the mod from a save should similarly just disable any filtering that's been set up.

Elysium

The mood display is pretty useful, thanks!  Not exactly sure what the fresh filter does exactly but maybe I'm just missing something.

mzbear

Quote from: Elysium on August 08, 2016, 12:59:55 PM
The mood display is pretty useful, thanks!  Not exactly sure what the fresh filter does exactly but maybe I'm just missing something.

It only exists for that annoying situation when you want to haul rotten things away and your stockpiles are absolutely full already, so a low priority stockpile doesn't do the trick. I have to admit it's not an often needed feature, I only really needed it in one game so far.

I'll just keep implementing things as I need them and keep adding them to this mod, not sure what I want next...

Well, actually ... I've been kinda contemplating whether displaying the non-random part of the storyteller's internal state would ruin gameplay. I already know exactly how it works (alternating safety/danger periods of equal length) and it has slightly started to affect how I play the game. You know, it changes everything if you know when there's going to be 4 days without a chance for a raid and when a big threat is absolutely imminent (the threat cycle)... so maybe displaying the information on-screen prominently wouldn't change anything, but then again perhaps it would ruin the enjoyment. It'd be super useful but I'm not sure if I want to see it all the time.

Elysium

Oh, that makes sense.

As for the storyteller stuff, I've not learned enough about the mechanics to that extent yet, but eventually that type of information would be pretty useful for me.  I think it may be a bit of the spoiler side for newer players but more advanced players probably know that they aren't going to be raided for a bit if they had just been raided, so that could be useful to them.

I don't know how much work is involved in implementing mod options, but you could add a toggle state for it if you didn't want to see it all the time.

mzbear

Quote from: Elysium on August 08, 2016, 04:55:46 PM
I don't know how much work is involved in implementing mod options, but you could add a toggle state for it if you didn't want to see it all the time.

I have no idea either, this is my first mod and to be honest I've never used any other mods so I don't know the state of the art regarding configuration. Apparently CCL has a mod configuration menu for mods to use, but I haven't had the courage to run CCL yet. I'm super super paranoid about running third party executable code, even if it's popular stuff. :3

mzbear

Quote from: Killface on August 08, 2016, 07:51:58 PM
Maybe you want to join forces in future

Ah, I don't really want to be part of a team or anything, I'd rather just work solo on whatever I need myself and let others reuse my code if they see something they like.

My mod is really hacky anyway and it probably will look horribly when a letter is rendered above the colonist bar. After all, the original version just sets alpha and renders background+avatar with them, my version draws bunch of boxes and lines and it's definitely going to look wrong with alpha applied... I'd need to rewrite the rendering code to avoid overdraw, not a big deal but not something I'm going to do until I'm perfectly satisfied with how the indicators look, and I'm not that happy with it yet. I'm just not good with visual design so it's gonna take a while to refine this thing, I got lucky that the indicators currently look as good as they do! :D

Elysium

Have you considered adding an uptick or downtick depending on which way the mood is headed?  It wouldn't need to be large or even obvious, just something concise enough to indicate where things are going.

mzbear

Quote from: Elysium on August 08, 2016, 08:42:51 PM
Have you considered adding an uptick or downtick depending on which way the mood is headed?  It wouldn't need to be large or even obvious, just something concise enough to indicate where things are going.

The thing is, I don't want it to be large ... and I don't want overly prominent UI elements to clutter the colonist bar. I'm trying to have this thing as non-invasive and clean as possible.

Maybe that 2x3 pixel side-blob indicating current target level could change between red/green and maybe even become larger if it's going towards extreme. Hmmmmm.....

Kaaven

I honestly how this mod handles the mood indication - one can see the status of each pawn, whenever it is rising or dropping and that's pretty much it. Easy to read and unobtrusive is how I like my GUI mods :D

About the danger indication thingie. I would personally consider it a kinda cheat, just to display such info on its own. Even if that can be figured out by a player eventually, it is better to keep such data hidden, in my opinion.

There may however be something done with that info (if its at all possible to use it) which could be both useful and immersive - a late(er) game researchable device, which when built and powered, gives an early warning for the incoming trouble. A radar, movement detector or something similar of that sort. Not giving the exact data of when the next even will happen, and obviously not for every event, but some message akin to: "Multiple unidentified objects approaching the colony. Estimated time of arrival: 2 days" could be both cool and useful :D

ruzackovich

It dont showing any mood mod, i using killface mod colonists  bar @ https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20771.msg228264#msg228264 , either before or after his mod, still not working , is it having compatibility issue with it ?

mzbear

Quote from: ruzackovich on August 09, 2016, 08:08:11 PM
It dont showing any mood mod, i using killface mod colonists  bar @ https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20771.msg228264#msg228264 , either before or after his mod, still not working , is it having compatibility issue with it ?

Most likely a compatibility issue since I'm detouring ColonistBar::DrawColonist and any other mod doing the same (or bypassing the original function through an even earlier detour) is going to conflict.

However, killface just said a few messages away that he'd be adapting my code into his mod. Once he finishes the integration, you won't be needing my mod anymore. I can't really do anything much about the compatibility issue myself.