Most leather temperature values the same?

Started by Serenity, August 08, 2016, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

On the wiki different leathers have all kinds of different heat insulation values, but that information seems to be outdated. In game most of what I can see in the boreal biome seems to be 100%.

Some exceptions are arctic wolf skin with 125%, goat hide with 90%, hare with 95% and beaver with 80%

But overall it seems to be far more uniform than it once was and doesn't make much of a difference. So I guess it's ok if I just use what I have in stock? It seems you have to go the wool route for things to drastically get better.

cultist

Seems like it. I haven't checked the values in A14 but it makes sense. Wool takes time to grow and you have to feed and protect the animal while you wait for the wool. Leather is great for insulation, but it doesn't keep you warm like wool does (in real life).

Kagemusha12

If you want something to keep warm, use wool.
AFAIK it is the best material for cold weather clothes

Serenity

It's not even about a "what's best" kind of thing. On my map it's not overly cold. Sometimes around -20°C, which you get to with just a tuque. I was just a bit confused about the information available.

However I think it's better that way. You have to deal with different items that don't stack, but are basically the same, but it's easier to keep track of when there are only a few materials with different values.

Boston

If you read the description for all of the "leathers" in the game, you will come to the realization that they have all been scraped, tanned and dried. With the hair removed, all leather is pretty much the same.

I wish there was two "main" types of animalhides for use in crafting: "Leather", which is what all hides get turned into when they get dried, scraped and tanned, and "fur", which can then be differentiated between different types. Leather would be the "standard" clothing material, while different furs would provide different degrees of warmth.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Boston on August 08, 2016, 07:44:48 PM
If you read the description for all of the "leathers" in the game, you will come to the realization that they have all been scraped, tanned and dried. With the hair removed, all leather is pretty much the same.

I wish there was two "main" types of animalhides for use in crafting: "Leather", which is what all hides get turned into when they get dried, scraped and tanned, and "fur", which can then be differentiated between different types. Leather would be the "standard" clothing material, while different furs would provide different degrees of warmth.

Sounds like a good idea ...
fur could be best at keeping warm,
while tanned leather could have some protective advantages.

Tanning would also be a good explanation what the colonists do with all the urine they produce every day :D

CannibarRechter

The colonists don't pee, because... there isn't water.... :-)
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

cultist

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 08, 2016, 08:03:57 PM
Tanning would also be a good explanation what the colonists do with all the urine they produce every day :D

You know the "dirt" pawns produce when they walk across floors? Yeah. Don't think too much about it.

RemingtonRyder

Yeah, it suddenly makes so much sense that some colonists just don't want to do any cleaning.