[B18]As Simple As Rack - Simple storage solution for your everyday needs :p

Started by kaptain_kavern, August 08, 2016, 11:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

[B18]As Simple As Rack

• Add simple racked storage solutions, accessible after smithing research (all structures need a bit of metal as a frame). They are declined in various size and can be constructed from stone, wood or rock.
  • They can store any items in the game but are not preventing decaying (meaning that your stored items still need to be under a roof to stop decaying; putting a storage rack outside will not suffice) Default storage settings are set to: "Normal priority", "all except corpses & chunks" and "No rotten allowed".
  • Those ones are "minifiable" : you can move them around without deconstructing them.

• Also add refrigerated storage solutions, accessible after Air Conditioning research. They are declined in the same sizes and can be constructed from stone, wood or rock + a fixed amount of steel and one component.
  • They can store any items in the game and are refrigerated so they preserve foods, meals, medicine and corpses from rotting. They need to be powered for that. Note: even unpowered (or switched off) items stored in it will still not decay because it's a door-closed storage.
  • Those ones are not movable but they're so sturdy that they can be used as roof supports (if you have really big storage needs :-p). It may be wise to review roof-collapsing rules on the wiki

• Also add a simple neon lamp just because it was with the pack in which I salvaged the storage graphics and it goes well with the rest graphic-wise

Instructions
CCL mod Rimfridge mod is mandatory and should be set to be launched BEFORE this mod in modlist

Credits

• All graphical assets (and the idea about using roof holding structures) are from Saularian in [A11 Terra Firma Mod Pack]
  • A big thank you to the team, half of the mod used to use their modified classes
  • A big thank you to Vendan, and Kiame now, for making the Rimfridge mod ! - (without this I couldn't have made the refrigerated part since  A15 version)

Igan

Damn, I just closed the game. It was a bad idea givin' a look to the forums.
Now I know what will be the first thing to do tomorrow: test this mod.

Thank you very much.

newcadence

The mod looks interesting, but what's the point of paying materials for a regular storage rack to do what a stockpile does for free?

FoxXeL

Exactly, the storage purpose was that you could place it without any roof. I think this is more for esthetic purposes.

biship

Nice and tidy - I like it. Now if only they increased the stack size...

Grogfeld

Oh Kaptain my Kaptain. I like how it look, i will try it out. Few questions. What I understand you can make wall of this storage units? If yes then I understand they are not passable, so from which side I should store item?

Also I have small request. Can you make one or two storage units with stack limit set to 5 and 10 items? I remember in Tech Tree Minami there was a table with storage limit set to 1 item, this way my haulers could move one unit of meal to each room. Now I would haul 10 items per room, and that's not efficient. 

AAAnd speaking of terra firma mod, how about morgue slab and body bags? ;)

Autocthon

Quote from: biship on August 09, 2016, 05:51:20 AM

I read somewhere recently that stack size is essentially hard coded into the game and can't be bypassed without breaking a whole lot of other variables. A mod author is working on it but it sounds really complicated.

Aristocat

Quote from: Autocthon on August 09, 2016, 07:55:25 AM
Quote from: biship on August 09, 2016, 05:51:20 AM

I read somewhere recently that stack size is essentially hard coded into the game and can't be bypassed without breaking a whole lot of other variables. A mod author is working on it but it sounds really complicated.

You mean this storage mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0

Or RT quantum storage? https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11272

CannibarRechter

Skullywag's Extended Storage already does what this mod does, and generally does it better, although I like the graphics in this mod. Anyway, skully is the mod that extends stack sizes on the units. The mod is a bit buggy, but somewhat functional.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Serenity

As far as graphics are concerned it looks very nice. But I also prefer extended storage for the larger stacks

mazacik

How is using the racks different from simply making a specialized stockpile?

kaptain_kavern

hi all, thanks for sharing insights.

So,
In fact while thinking about stat value, cost and all i was more thinking like that :
- Is a Storage Rack should protect something put on it from say rain or something?

- Obviously (at least to me) not : so I've set the code that way and storage rack doesn't prevent decay (i've set very low cost to balance that)

I find them useful as is for organizing my bases in conjunctions with stockpile. I find it handy to be able to have specific items near say a bench (not to mention the fact that they can be moved at will).

About the stacksize in fact it's something I've not even think about yet. But it seem logical. What i fear is that it required DLL modding and if yes i will not be able to do that. But i'll definitively look into it.

Quote from: Grogfeld on August 09, 2016, 06:53:33 AM
Oh Kaptain my Kaptain. I like how it look, i will try it out. Few questions. What I understand you can make wall of this storage units? If yes then I understand they are not passable, so from which side I should store item?

Also I have small request. Can you make one or two storage units with stack limit set to 5 and 10 items? I remember in Tech Tree Minami there was a table with storage limit set to 1 item, this way my haulers could move one unit of meal to each room. Now I would haul 10 items per room, and that's not efficient. 

AAAnd speaking of terra firma mod, how about morgue slab and body bags? ;)

- Nope maybe i haven't done the description right, sorry. The refrigerated one can support roof (the same piece of code used in walls) meaning they can be used as pillar to sustain a roof. But they are passable (at high path cost) and bullet will pass through them.

- I will definitively look at the stacksize. But you seem to wish something different (people have said they want more). I mean if i can increase i'm sure i will be able to decrease it but i'm not sure i understand the purpose :p

- And speaking about Terra Firma mod ....   In fact i'm working on updating/vastly increasing it. I just thought that the storages racks could also be released separately

CannibarRechter

> I will definitively look at the stacksize.

As you'll note with the ExtendedStorage mod, this requires CS code, and is tricky code to make work right with the game engine.

As for your storage rack, you may wish to look up EquipmentRack in BuildingsFurniture.xml. This rack prevents items from deteriorating when stored in it, and can be made from wood, metal, or stone. I don't think there is a game balance reason to stop deterioration in your racks, is what I'm saying.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects