"Hypothermic" tortoises

Started by John_Bigless, August 09, 2016, 02:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Bigless

During cold winter and when there are turtles on the map, the debug says that there are hypothermic animals. Since there is winter, and the freezing is called "Hypothermia" i sense that this could be a joke.

CannibarRechter

Does that happen when the debug console isn't open?
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

loc978

Are you claiming hypothermic isn't a word, or am I missing something here?
Hypothermia
noun
1. Pathology. subnormal body temperature.
2. Medicine/Medical. the artificial reduction of body temperature to slow metabolic processes, as for facilitating heart surgery.

Related forms
hypothermic, adjective

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypothermic

John_Bigless

Quote from: loc978 on August 09, 2016, 02:57:58 PM
Are you claiming hypothermic isn't a word, or am I missing something here?
Hypothermia
noun
1. Pathology. subnormal body temperature.
2. Medicine/Medical. the artificial reduction of body temperature to slow metabolic processes, as for facilitating heart surgery.

Related forms
hypothermic, adjective

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypothermic

I dunno, but my brain reads "Hypothermic" as "Hypothermia"

Calahan

I am a bit confused by what you are trying to report here? Can you please confirm whether you are reporting a possible bug relating to winter and hypothermia, or are you just querying the use of the word "Hypothermic"?

milon

I think John_Bigless is confused as to why the game is saying that, and (s)he is probably feeling slightly trolled.  ;)

It used to be impossible for animals to get hypothermia - they were all wild and untamable so they would just leave the map when they got cold.  But now animals are tamable and if you have a pet tortoise in a cold area it certainly can get hypothermia.  But the message still remains.

I think the only "bug" here is the warning message itself since it's no longer relevant.

John_Bigless

The bug happened a few times, i'll just wait until it happens again, get a screenshot of it and then post it.

CannibarRechter

It's not a "bug". The game has an error code to notify you that wild animals on the map are hypothermic. I only play the game with the development console turned on, so I figured it was tied to that. If it's not tied to that, then it should probably be tied to that.

milon

I think the message just needs to be changed to NOT suggest that it's a bug.  If you keep warm-climate animals outdoors in winter, you SHOULD expect them to get hypothermia.  But it would also be great if the game alerted you to that fact, similar to how it alerts you to a colonist getting hypothermia.  I don't think it should be tied to the dev console (IMO).

CannibarRechter

Does it pop up on pets? I hadn't noticed? I've only seen it for wild animals in a Cold Snap. If it does, I agree. But it shouldn't pop up for wild animals except in dev mode.

milon

I thought it did?  Maybe not - I haven't tested recently, but an alpha or two ago I remember being surprised when a) a bunch of chicks hatched in the freezer and b) they all ran outside and died of hypothermia.  I didn't notice until I found the frozen babies while hauling hay outside for my alpaca.  :)

asanbr

This happens to me all the time, with dev tools on. But only with dev tools on, so I didn't think much about it.

John_Bigless

Quote from: milon on August 12, 2016, 04:09:10 PM
I thought it did?  Maybe not - I haven't tested recently, but an alpha or two ago I remember being surprised when a) a bunch of chicks hatched in the freezer and b) they all ran outside and died of hypothermia.  I didn't notice until I found the frozen babies while hauling hay outside for my alpaca.  :)
I managed to get the glitch again, and made a screenshot of it.
(Speaking of barns and alpacas, you should make an allowed area during winter for your farm animals.)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

John_Bigless

Quote from: John_Bigless on August 13, 2016, 06:42:49 AM
Quote from: milon on August 12, 2016, 04:09:10 PM
I managed to get the glitch again, and made a screenshot of it.
(Speaking of barns and alpacas, you should make an allowed area during winter for your farm animals.)
Also, right now some random Boomalope bled to death and violently exploded into flames. It got shot by a modded Sniper Turret and bled out afterwards
Also would like to ask, will Enthuasia trigger the explosion of a Boomalope/Boomrat?

CannibarRechter

Hi, John, that screen shot didn't show your whole screen. Was the dev console turned on? If so, is not a glitch.