[A17] [All Helpful Bots Mods] Realistic Darkness [&Lighter V]

Started by Helpful Bot, August 10, 2016, 03:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should eclipses be more of a scary negative event where it becomes the darkest type of event/weather?

Yes, Eclipses should be the darkest event/weather
Yes, eclipses should be slightly darker than night
(This means no change) No, eclipses should be as dark as a normal clear night
No, eclipses should be slightly lighter than a normal clear night
No, eclipses should be only 30% darker than normal DAYlight

Adventurer

Eesh, this turns the game into Vin Diesel's Pitch Black at nighttime. Good if you're into that sort of thing I guess but way, way too much for me.

CannibarRechter

I adjusted all the darkness levels by +.1 value in his XML defs. That generates darkness that is dark, but not "pitch black," as you say.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Helpful Bot

I've release a lighter version on steam which is 3X lighter than the base version. will be uploading it here as well shortly.

Adventurer

Would it be possible to just make it an option within Mod Options that you can configure rather than having separate versions?

panggul_mas

Quote from: Bucketsmith on August 16, 2016, 07:01:23 AM
Man, I've put a bunch of work into some updates and changes to old mods related to lighting. Namely a spotlight and a flare mortar, so far.
I was wondering if anyone else was also working on it or if there was some old code I could get inspiration from, then I found that panggul_mas supposedly worked on flares for the A13 Darkness?
I dunno if you want to update your add-on to A14, but I don't want to step on your toes. :D
I'll still finish my attemp though, because it's good experience for me. :)

Hell yeah! I'll pm you the work me and cram did on the flares. We got a working flare mortar and hand-thrown flare grenades, and pretty much got it to 95% ready for release. Using light levels to add depth to the game is so great, I love this whole theme/category/whathaveyou.

Helpful Bot

Grishnerf

i use the lighter Version and i have to say the solar eclpise in there is just fine .
it is the darkest part off all and it gets really annoying over time.
this is in the lighter Version, the ecplise could be a little bit brighter, but this is just my opinion.

i think the lighter Version as it is right now is perfect.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Helpful Bot

Thanks for the feedback! I was curious about how people would react to the eclipse being the darkest event, period, in the lighter version. That's what gave me the idea to make the same kind of dynamic in the darker version. Because of this i'm probably going to shorten the event as well. In my opinion, an ECLIPSE that lasts into the night is kinda retarded. I've had them be ongoing through a night and I get that its random but it breaks immersion a bit for me.

Lady Wolf

I agree the lighter version is way better, with the older one it got too dark at night to see enough to engage raiders at all, or order people to haul goods/queue up mining etc.

The 3x lighter version is just dark enough to make night feel like night time without being too dark to play.

Eclipses in real life vary in brightness depending on their totality, ranging from only slightly darker than a cloudy day to near total blackness, so it would be especially neat if it was possible to add a random darkness % to each eclipse? if not then making it as dark as sunset/sunrise would be ideal imho.

Helpful Bot

If I learned how to do variable darkness, hell, variable ANYTHING in c# then I would be a very happy person. I've got the mathematics background to understand it but not the c# background. If anyone would like to show me/help me coding something like that. that would be immensely appreciated. I would probably not make standard weathers variable but i would make eclipses have variable darkness as well as volcanic winter (progressively darker) and toxic fallout (progressively greener and darker).

The darker version is purposely targeted at people like myself who not only want the immersion/flavor of true nights but also want to make the game distinctly harder.

Helpful Bot

Updated to A15 and added a zip containing all of my mod versions.

Trigon

The link on the front page seems to indicate that the darkness mod is still alpha 14? Is that just a typo since the last post seems to indicate that both mods are updated.

Helpful Bot

I see where the confusion could come from, that is just the a14 mod that people requested I keep up here. The updated mod is in the zip with all my mods. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Trigon

Flypaste

Can I please get a download for your A14 mods? Steam workshop killed them all when A15 came out. The only one you have here is the only one I don't want.