Rescue animal -> bonded while treating?

Started by Skaliri, August 10, 2016, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaliri

I tried to search this, but did not find anything, so if it's already answered somewhere, apoligies in advance.
I'll get straight to the point:

Had two Thrumbo's in my area, to keep them there, I wanted to down and rescue them (it tends to let them stay in the map long enough for me to try to tame them for a while).
I engaged them while they were near my main defence area. Got them both downed, then proceeded to rescue them. During the treatment (mind you, they had about 50 wounds each, both of them bonded to my main healer. (Medicine 17, animals 4), thus, instantly taming them. I was mostly wondering what the mechanics behind this are and if anybody else had similar experiences.

Is it just because of a certain time spent with the animal and thus it bonds? For that matter (although I suck with search engines) I could not find anything about bonding mechanics either. Anyone able to satisfy my curiosity?

PS: While on the topic, is there any way to decrease the speed or chance for infections on thrumbo's? I don't mind having the chance for infections, but it is a bit annoying that because they easily get so much wounds and you cannot focus the infection. my guy spent over 14 hours treating one of them before finally moving on to the infection. I lost one of them not much later...

b0rsuk

I think you've found a loophole. Good job!

Currently healing animals is very lacking, but I have a few creative ideas to help.
1. Build or install animal beds close to the downed thrumbos. Animal beds have faster immunity gain speed that sleeping spots.
2. Build rooms around the thrumbos. Make floors sterile floors.

And make sure they're fed regularly, hungry pawns heal slower.

By the way - yes, it's odd that BIG animals feel like a disadvantage after a tribal raid. I once used up over 50 herbal medicine after a single raid! Big animals end up recuperating slower than small animals because they can have more and deeper wounds.

cultist

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 10, 2016, 08:18:29 AM
Currently healing animals is very lacking, but I have a few creative ideas to help.
1. Build or install animal beds close to the downed thrumbos. Animal beds have faster immunity gain speed that sleeping spots.
2. Build rooms around the thrumbos. Make floors sterile floors.

You can rescue untamed animals using existing animal beds in your base. There's no need to build a room just for this purpose, unless you want to keep them outside your base.

Actually, I just realized I never tried resucing a Thrumbo. Can pawns even carry them? This works for other animals though.

Skaliri

You can rescue any animal (or at least, the bigger ones I know for sure: Elephant, Thrumbo and Rhino.) :p it looks pretty silly with yer skinny pawns just pickin up one of em like it's nothin. Shame they don't do have that superstrength in combat.

b0rsuk

Quote from: cultist on August 10, 2016, 09:35:41 AM
You can rescue untamed animals using existing animal beds in your base. There's no need to build a room just for this purpose, unless you want to keep them outside your base.
This is to make sure a colonist rescues Thrumbo to an animal bed. Otherwise he may rescue to animal sleeping spot and if I remember correctly these may not be deconstructed if an animal is using it. It's an optional step, but it gives you perfect control. It's a Thrumbo so I thought I can assume player is willing to spend extra resources.
Actually, I just realized I never tried resucing a Thrumbo. Can pawns even carry them? This works for other animals though.
I bet my plush badger they can!

cultist

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 10, 2016, 04:06:41 PM
This is to make sure a colonist rescues Thrumbo to an animal bed. Otherwise he may rescue to animal sleeping spot and if I remember correctly these may not be deconstructed if an animal is using it.

You can deconstruct sleeping spots (animal and human) while they are in use. The pawn/animal will get up and wander for a second before going to sleep in a random spot nearby.