Let's add a history to Rimworld!

Started by catter, August 11, 2016, 12:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catter

Ok, so i have always wondered what a good history of the human race, based in this reality, would be like... So, why don't you top experts make one? I mean, i have lived with this whole history made out since I first got the A10 version of the game, and wish to see it compared to the history you developers have thought up! If this suggestion is not really important then put it off 'till later, but don't knock it down please, there may be others like me who may make a story based off of the history and bring in more people. The point is that some people may want to have this history so please consider putting out one...

Oh, and by the way: if you are wanting some inspiration, i will give it to in this post.

History (2016 C.E.-5500 C.E.):

2016-This year!!!
2031-The first mars landings.
2091-The U.K. makes the first moon base.
2134-The making of an orbital city station goes under way. Countries now divided by continent, not by border.
2452-Mass bombing across the globe occurs, only smart and strong survive.
2467-Global peace is established.
2468-City Station 1 is finished.
2501-First interplanetary drive is made.
2982-Solar system is fully colonized, plans for a sub-light interstellar drive and cytosleep caskets go under way. (This explains why you only can go at sub-light speed in cytosleep caskets)
3000-To celebrate a new era, the first interstellar flight takes place.
3359-Humans meet the mechanoids, who are friendly, and become allies across the galaxy. (This explains why there are mechanoids to begin with)
3962-The Luddite Riots begin causing many to wonder if the new technologies they are making are really necessary. (This explains when the Luddites began to come around)
4172-The galaxy is fully colonized and all planets that are useful have been terraformed. The human race changes its government type to an Empire and moved the capitol planet to Solcan 5. (This explains why you can have so many outer rim planets in one game)
4203-The outer rim planets say that the laws that the Empire made are unfair and start boycotting imperial trade ships and transports. In response, the empire sends mechanoids and soldiers to the outer rim planets. (This explains why spacer soldiers are aggressive and mechanoids are aggressive)
4560-These are the dark days of the outer rim planets. The imperial armies have all the outer rim worlds and have set up small buildings to insure that they won't get far. (This explains the ancient structures)
4562-The outer rim survivors pick up arms and fight off the imperial armies at tremendous odds. The established bunkers are sealed to keep anyone from entering. (This explains why the ancient structures are ancient)
4563-The outer rim planets now are declared as their own part of the galaxy called The Rimworld Alliance. Imperial ships are not to go there and all the soldiers are left behind. The capital of this new alliance is Glitterworld and there are no laws in this place, except that you can't trade with the Empire. (This explains why there are no imperial ships passing by, why anyone can do anything, why there is a Glitterworld, and why there are some ancient structures with only space refugees)
5500-This is when you usually start your game...

top_hat_tomato

Vernor Vinge's "A fire apon the deep" universe VERY closely fits rimworld's lore as detailed ( https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1fUO3KKbAbTxMP1lqphnnodY0NPoOVblCUkDw-54MDUc/pub ). There's only one minor difference. FTL travel is possible, but only far away from the galactic center (opposite of "'Towards the galactic core, stars are closer together and travel is easier." )

MeowRailroad

I thought about why the ship broke one day and the most likely thing I could come up with was that there was some kind of attack to the ship or on board it. Maybe there was some kind of rebellion on one section (It could have been transporting prisoners) and there was a big battle on board but a lot of people were severely wounded and with the ship broken in 2 by an explosion, the medics decided to put the injured in their capsules and shoot them to the planet because there wasn't enough power from backup generators to treat everyone. It would be better to let them take their chances of finding help on the planet below than letting them die on the ship, and some people who crash in pods have gunshots. The AI then might have allowed anyone who wanted to leave to get into their pods and go the surface. It says when you first crash that you wake up to sirens and ripping metal or something like that , and maybe the structural damage continued for an hour or so after the 3 main colonists leave until the AI decided to launch everyone because the ship was splitting apart. That's the reason why there aren't more people, most were trapped on the wreckage when the AI launched all the pods. Maybe there was a collision/encounter with a mechanoid ship which split apart on the other side of the planet.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Dive

Even though i appreciate the effort, your story is contradicting the official lore in multiple places.
First of all, there's no FTL travel in RV. Therefore, due to enourmous distances between starts, there was never any kind of "Empire" in the galaxy.
Also, due to this isolation it does not really make sense to try to write a "history of humankind" after first interstellar ships left Earth - each colony has it's own history that might either lead to glory or to a downfall. The only thing we can say  about humanity - probably new colonies are being constantly established somewhere.
The entire galaxy is not colonised, but only a small fraction of it, limited in size by a few hundreds - couple thousands light years. That's 1-3% of Milky Way.
Humanity never met mechanoids - they are made by highly developed human planets.
Rimworlds don't have a gouvernement - the population on a rimworld is so sparce that there are just a few isolated vilages.

catter

alright, i get it... already done, just have too look for it, etc. thanks for the info though!

hyperkiller

I Laughed at this part "2452-Mass bombing across the globe occurs, only smart and strong survive." and then world peace.

MarcTheMerc

My only major complaint is humans made the mechanoids as servent and soldiers and it went as well as you would suspect.

settlement Technology levels are assumed to be:
tribal - Makes pemmican, dies on mass.
Medievil - wears armour, says ye old alot.
industral - where the average colony places, also pirates.
Spacer/Glittertech  - makes mechanoids, hordes super medicine.

"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs