Farming plots > Hydroponics?

Started by Coenmcj, March 02, 2014, 08:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coenmcj

I'm not sure about anyone else but for some reason my berries grow faster than my Hydroponically accelerated Potatos and then we have no way to artificially grow agave despite having 3 different Decoration (I think they are atleast... I havn't tried yet) plants that are growable from the grow plots.

Can anyone confirm the berries > Accelerated potatos thing? I havn't actually checked the numbers at all, it just seems that I'm collecting more berries than potatos when I have similar amounts of plots to tables.

Cheers.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

UrbanBourbon

No! YOU do the math! You! ... Uhhh. I don't know. Tables, however, take less space, so they have that going for them, which is nice.

dd0029

I don't have a saved game handy with tables currently, but I had noticed that food is much more of an issue in this version. I was looking around for a culprit and I seem to recall that I noticed that tables aren't growing accel-potatoes anymore, just regular potatoes.

Coenmcj

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on March 03, 2014, 06:18:20 AM
Tables, however, take less space, so they have that going for them, which is nice.

well they take up the same room, it's just about how much you use, since they're supposed to be faster.

Quote from: dd0029 on March 03, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
I had noticed that food is much more of an issue in this version. I was looking around for a culprit and I seem to recall that I noticed that tables aren't growing accel-potatoes anymore, just regular potatoes.

Food Is quite a bit of a problem, but I hadn't noticed the tables growing regular potatos I'll check on that later...

dd0029

Just thought to check, regular potatoes. I have 4 5x5 growing patches and I am having trouble keeping over 100 units of food in the hoppers with 8 guys and a prisoner. Quite a bit different from when 4 hydroponics trays could keep 15 guys going with a sizable surplus.

Was just checking the wiki for the difference. Regular potatoes take 2.08 days of light whereas the accele takes 1.2 days.

Razorsharp

Probably for balance reasons, since hydroponics takes up less space and doesn't require sunlight, so it's OP compared to regular gardens (which shouldn't be the case)

Coenmcj

Wait, the plots NEED sunlight? I've been using them as external Hydroponics bays with floor lamps around them...

dd0029

They need to be brightly lit. If you mouse over a plant, you can see in the tooltip where it says  growing or Not Growing(Needs Brightly Lit). Without accele plants, you are bester served by enclosing at least an 11x11 plot and putting a sun lamp in the middle like this:

The 8 spots on each corner are outside of bright lit so they won't grow. You need one section of conduit for the sun lamp cord to reach. Put that in one of those no grow spots in one of the corners so you don't waste a bightly lit spot on it.

colonistPally

Quote from: dd0029 on March 03, 2014, 07:58:22 PM
They need to be brightly lit. If you mouse over a plant, you can see in the tooltip where it says  growing or Not Growing(Needs Brightly Lit). Without accele plants, you are bester served by enclosing at least an 11x11 plot and putting a sun lamp in the middle like this:

The 8 spots on each corner are outside of bright lit so they won't grow. You need one section of conduit for the sun lamp cord to reach. Put that in one of those no grow spots in one of the corners so you don't waste a bightly lit spot on it.

...freakin genius!

Coenmcj

I'm not sure if it's been fixed or not, but what about using 2 regular lamps on either side of the room? But besides that the setup looks pretty nice, I'll probably build some buildings to focus on the design for future colonies, Cheers.

dd0029

I don't think it really matters what lamp you use as long as you get the "Brightly lit buff"

Architect

The fertility of hydroponic tables has been increased for alpha 3, but a power consumption has been added to them. Check March 3 here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Architect on March 05, 2014, 05:24:50 AM
The fertility of hydroponic tables has been increased for alpha 3, but a power consumption has been added to them. Check March 3 here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub
Cheers, I keep forgetting the changelog is public...

letharion

I use hydroponics mostly because I can have them deep in the mountain where I build my other stuff. Saving the colonists running back and forth is quite a time saver, and allows one to wall off completely if need be. (Provided a suitable steam vent of lots of backup power). So for me Hydroponics > Farming plots, even without fast growing potatoes.

Ekornserk

Quote from: dd0029 on March 03, 2014, 07:58:22 PM

(...)

Why even enclose it? Just place a sun lamp outside in the middle of your plants. 24/7 growing from the start.

Yes, it may short circuit in the rain and start a fire. (a fire outside... in the rain...)