[A17] Bionic Butchery - reclaim your bionics

Started by klassekatze, August 05, 2017, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lupin III

Quote from: Razzoriel on August 07, 2017, 09:56:24 AM
Butchering organs from corpses is kind of OP.
I don't think it's OP. The window for it to be done is very short anyway. IRL people, who have just died, can be organ donors as well.

Dellamorte

Any chance we could get a version of this for animals, I like to cyber my pets and it is such a shame when your cybernetically enhanced pet dies and you loose all that effort.

shadowstitch

After considerable testing, I can confirm 100% that this mod disables thrumbos dropping horns upon butchering in A17, even with all research completed. 

I made a testbed colony with no mods enabled, dumped 10 dead thrumbos and some colonists in with butcher tables and saved the game. Told them to butcher, and watched the results. Horns dropped as expected. I exited to the main menu, enabled hugslib and bionicbutchery, started a new colony, did the same thing with a second testbed, no horns dropped out of 10. Just to make sure, I left bionicbutchery enabled, reloaded my first testbed, and had them butcher. No horns dropped.

faltonico

Is your code keeping track of the TicksToRot from every human corpse in the map at all times? (even with no human corpses on the map? o.O) ¿or does it only checks when a corpse is going to be butchered?
How hard does this mod hits performance with hundreds upon hundreds of corpses laying around?

YourCyborg

Nice! Thank you! I may say goodbye to save scumming now that a death of an ally won't mean unfairly wasted bionics.

I have a balance suggesting involving the intellectual skill to recover individual enemy corpse organs.

So, harvesting bionics from enemy corpses was seen as a balance issue from the developer and they were explained as being tied to the nervous system.

The intellectual skill is something of a wasted skill later on in pawns. My suggestion would be killing two birds with one stone.

Would it be possible for each (enemy) organ to require timely research (research skill for something else! Woot! Could call it recalibration or something) before being used?

I don't know how modding in rimworld works. I.e. if you can say 'organ from enemy name is variable, new entity is variable + uncalibrated,' and then take away 'uncalibrated' and make it usable after calibrating it with the intellectual skill.

My thinking is that timely calibration (hacking firmware, whatever) to convert enemy bionics is still much more convenient than obtaining bionics otherwise, could put that intellectual skill to good use late game, and would lessen the 'OMG OP' aspect of taking mods from enemy corpses. I use EPOE mod already and while I love it, it does make the game objectively easier. This would do the same - making the game easier but also a quality-of-life thing for frustrating save-scumming moments where your decked out bionic pawn dies.

Anyways, please consider my proposal and thanks for your work!

tchiseen

I think this mod might conflict with Harvest Everything, but I am not sure. I can't get bionics off corpses. I tried butchering them after researching, but no dice.

I'm going to try to isolate this.

faltonico

Quote from: shadowstitch on August 30, 2017, 09:01:39 PM
After considerable testing, I can confirm 100% that this mod disables thrumbos dropping horns upon butchering in A17, even with all research completed. 

I made a testbed colony with no mods enabled, dumped 10 dead thrumbos and some colonists in with butcher tables and saved the game. Told them to butcher, and watched the results. Horns dropped as expected. I exited to the main menu, enabled hugslib and bionicbutchery, started a new colony, did the same thing with a second testbed, no horns dropped out of 10. Just to make sure, I left bionicbutchery enabled, reloaded my first testbed, and had them butcher. No horns dropped.
It happened to me as well, thank you for pointing it out, it would have been taken ages on my side to find that out.