RimWorld's Different Worlds

Started by BlueFireWolf295, August 11, 2016, 12:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFireWolf295

So I have a question, when u generate a world, at the top u can see the name of the world. I recently deleted a save accidentally and the name of the world started with Am or something like that. My question is: are there only a limited amount of worlds and is there a list anywhere where I can see the different worlds and their seed?

Thanks

Kagemusha12

Quote from: BlueFireWolf295 on August 11, 2016, 12:05:15 PM
So I have a question, when u generate a world, at the top u can see the name of the world. I recently deleted a save accidentally and the name of the world started with Am or something like that. My question is: are there only a limited amount of worlds and is there a list anywhere where I can see the different worlds and their seed?

Thanks

I wouild assume that the number of worlds that can get generated is rather huge ... and is done procedural from the seed for the RNG that you entered)

Szara

The name of the world is essentially flavor, as far as a list of worlds and their seeds, there are some posts around the forums here, reddit, and steam with some seeds people have thought were interesting (do a search for Rimworld seeds), and for a given world size it will generate the same world map (that I've seen, might change between versions).

The potential number of worlds that can be generated are, for practical purposes, infinite. Though it wouldn't be anywhere near actual infinity, I believe, since the game will eventually break with a long enough seed, and there are only so many allowable character types in the seed.
Yest' chelovék, yest' probléma. Net chelovéka, net problémy.
If there is a person, there is a problem. If there is no person, then there is no problem.

Skaliri

Hmm, it is indeed as the people above me have said, but was that the answer you were looking for? I personally think you want to know if there is any way to retrace that particular world, with the only information being it started with "Am", right?

(So basically, you are looking for the list which has the words that are used for the random seed generation, is what I think?)
If so, I hope someone else knows if that is a thing (I just spent 30 minutes looking for it, with no avail, but I only got the game for less than a week and have about 0% programming experience and knowledge)

So far, I haven't been able to find it at least. Hell, for all I know he randomly generates words through some site. Although I doubt that :p but you get what I mean. Does anyone know where the pre-generated words come from that the world map maker uses?

PS: If I am completely wrong and going offtopic, feel free to call me out on that, cause that is not my intention.

Szara

Quote from: Skaliri on August 11, 2016, 06:28:02 PM

So far, I haven't been able to find it at least. Hell, for all I know he randomly generates words through some site. Although I doubt that :p but you get what I mean. Does anyone know where the pre-generated words come from that the world map maker uses?

If you mean the names of the worlds, it seems to come from the NameBanks folder in mods/core/languages/(language)/strings/namebanks. I think it comes either partly or entirely from the three Names_Celestial txt files. As far as the random words that are used as seeds when you hit random seed, I guess it randomly picks from some/most/all the namebanks of the appropriate language.
Yest' chelovék, yest' probléma. Net chelovéka, net problémy.
If there is a person, there is a problem. If there is no person, then there is no problem.

Shurp

If you create a world with the same seed, you get the same name. This is true even if you change the world size.  Seed "111" always gives you "Botein" and gives the same map (with varying levels of detail depending on size)

10 points to anyone who can guess which seed gets you to planet "Yed Prior XV" ;->
(serious extra credit for Old Baten Kaitos or Marfark Elmuthhalleth)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

BlueFireWolf295

I found an old autosave savegame, but when I tried to load it, it said there was an error loading the game and that I had to check in the error log. I decided to use notebook to open the rws file and in there I couldn't find the seed but I did find this: <worldCoords>(163, 69)</worldCoords>. Does anyone perhaps know the seed for these coordinates? The save I had had an area in the top right corner which was protected by hills, there was only one entrance and a second really small entrance. If anyone has a world like this, please send me a picture of it. Thanks!

BlueFireWolf295

Does anyone know the seed for this world?

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

BlueFireWolf295

chaotix14

Why are you so hellbent on getting the seed for this one map? There are billions upon billions of possible seeds, there is very little chance anyone knows what seed that is or has even seen that exact seed.

Kagemusha12

Aye, not even Tynan would know.

And the world coords you found in the savegame sound like the coordinates of the colony on the map.

Considering that I never found anything so unique on a map, that it wouldn't be found on other maps as well (in some form or the other) and the map pic doesn't look any spacial, it sounds strange to hunt for a specific seed so desperately