Make the game MORE portable!

Started by Vas, March 03, 2014, 07:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

The game, as it currently stands, is portable.  You don't have to install it or anything.

I would like to see the save files and settings and anything else the game adds to your computer outside of it's own directory, put into that directory by user option.  So if you select "portable" mode or something, your game will add all save files, preferences, settings, etc, to that directory in new folders.  EG
C:\Users\Vas\Rimworld\Saves\ExplodeVille.rim - a portable save file
G:\Rimworld\settings.cfg - A portable settings file on a portable game on a flash drive!

If it was set up like this, I could take my Survival game with me anywhere so I can survive in harsh environments, like the dentist's office or something, on any machine I want!  Or if I go to my friends house, I can just load up the game and play it there.  Keeping all my settings and saves.

Can this be done easily?  I am hoping it's a rather easy thing for the dev to do so it would likely be done soon.  :P  Maybe either it would detect a line in a file "Portable : true|false" in it's own directory, or just have 2 exe files "Rimworld.exe" "RimworldPortable.exe" and you'd just run portable to load stuff into and from that directory.  Anyway.  I'd love to see this, I'm sure others might too?
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Vas

Quote from: ajtru on March 03, 2014, 09:59:54 PM
or keeping all the config files and save files in the main files folder would be better. I'm not sure why it defaults to \users and i don't see the benefit of it.

I have my game files in my User folder, but the save and config end up in the AppData folder.
I put my game here; C:\Users\Vas\Rimworld - which is a portable install.
The save and config files have ended up here;
C:\Users\Vas\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld - All of these files and folders would be much better off, in the same folder as the game running exe file.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

colonistPally

Yes, more portable! I want this on my 3DS damnit! ;)

Coenmcj

Well currently it could be fairly easy to add a shortcut, so it goes directly to the place it saves the er... saves... and then you can grab them and move them, but I do get your point, having it portable would help quite considerably for a few people who frequent between a few machines.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

OmniTitan

I second this request as I wish to be able to play both current and old versions and have modded versions and switch between my 6 machines, which I cannot do easily with the current save method. All within a single folder would be much more user friendly.

Adamiks

+1. This would help not only if someone have more computers, but also when someone want to switch beetwen versions of the game.

Tynan

This is done for A11; there is a command line switch to set the save data directory. You can set it inside the game dir if you want (with a relative path).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JimmyAgnt007

If i have the game on a flash drive, the letter of the drive might change depending on the computer i plug it into.  Will that matter for that command line if im saving it to the game directory? 

Tynan

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 26, 2015, 12:37:56 PM
If i have the game on a flash drive, the letter of the drive might change depending on the computer i plug it into.  Will that matter for that command line if im saving it to the game directory?

No, because it can be a relative path.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JimmyAgnt007

Ok. I didnt think you would have that kind of oversight but just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

StorymasterQ

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 26, 2015, 01:52:16 PM
Ok. I didnt think you would have that kind of oversight but just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

Tynan? Not have oversight? Pish posh! Of course he has oversight on details like that. Otherwise alphas would be hotfixed up to z instead of merely f. :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

mattig89ch

Srry for the necro post.  I was just coming to see if this was possible or not, and I'm so glad it is.

How do I get to the games command line?  And what command(s) do I enter, to get the saves stored to the game folder?  I'd love to get this on my flash drive, and be able to take my saves with me.  So so few games offer that nowadays.

Besides that, love the direction this game is going in!  So glad I backed this game on kick starter.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: mattig89ch on January 23, 2017, 02:49:56 AM
Srry for the necro post.  I was just coming to see if this was possible or not, and I'm so glad it is.

How do I get to the games command line?  And what command(s) do I enter, to get the saves stored to the game folder?  I'd love to get this on my flash drive, and be able to take my saves with me.  So so few games offer that nowadays.

Besides that, love the direction this game is going in!  So glad I backed this game on kick starter.

If you have the DRM free version purchased here at this website, just follow the directions in the readme file located in the main game directory. If you have the Steam version, I have no idea if it is possible.

mattig89ch

I just took a look at the readme file.  If I'm understanding it right, you need to use a separate launch command (like a shortcut), and add the -savedatafolder=[SaveFolderName] command after the path to the exe.

Do I have that right?

And could you add a way to do that in the game itself?  I wouldn't be using a shortcut to launch the game, so much as double clicking the executable.

harpo99999

that is correct, but youcan also create a BATch file todo the same, then  just run the bat, this is how I have been doing it since approxx a13
the bat contents are
".\RimWorld1135Win.exe" -savedatafolder=SaveData

just change the exe in the bat to thecorrect exe name and it is good to go