Sneak Attacks

Started by keylocke, March 04, 2014, 02:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

i'm not sure anyone has suggested this before, but how about adding the ability to do sneak attacks and maybe add visible line-of-sight cones so players can know the range and direction that is detectable by a pawn?

basically i've noticed that currently, the raiders seem to have such a long range of 360 degree vision/detection that is even further than the firing range of a sniper rifle, making it near impossible to sneak up on them. the only workaround at the moment is to use the terrain or structures against them for an ambush attack.

however, an "ambush" is often used as a defensive tactic (ie : the enemy must come to you), as compared to a "sneak attack" which is used offensively (ie : you must come to the enemy)

(inb4 : ambush and sneak attack are synonymous. if you have suggestions for what better terms to use to differentiate between offensive and defensive surprise attacks, i'm all ears)  ;)

anyways, the gist of this is that it places the player at a disadvantage and removes the incentive to go on a preemptive strike against their enemies, favoring the players to always stay on the defensive and bunker up. but the problem is that, this could get tedious after awhile since anyone who knows how to use "camping" methods while playing an FPS, knows how shamefully boring it is when used extensively.

so there really needs to be an incentive for going out on the offensive, the same way that defense has it's own incentives.

Nasikabatrachus

I agree with this suggestion wholeheartedly. Although, frankly, I'm more interested in dealing with sneak attacks than in making sneak attacks myself.

Coenmcj

Why don't we have both? they're both fun (When executed properly) but I do agree the raiders are kind of... wizards... at teh moment, probably why they all have tynan with them, so they can see you coming 4 and a half kilometres away.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

hawkwing

I'd like to add to this that a sort of "fog of war" effect would be a nice addition Never made sense that I knew when people appeared on the other side of the map. I'd like it to be a surprise when raiders show up on my doorstep. Perhaps make me set up advanced warning systems or patrols or something.

This would make NPCs like thieves make sense, it would give raiders a way to perhaps run up and steal a few crops and run away, instead of going into a frenzy to kill every last one of my settlers...

Perhaps security cameras could be set up to give vision, too.

Probably all out of scope of the game, sadly, but it doesn't stop me from hoping.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)