Just a question ? :p

Started by jonix007, March 04, 2014, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonix007

Buy the game or no ? and why?

FowlJ

Well, that depends on what you're looking for.

The game is in alpha, which means it is still lacking many things that would be present in a finished game - those things are slowly being added to on a daily basis, however.

What the game currently offers is the ability to build a small colony, farming, mining, building, and fending off attackers while trying to keep your colonists happy (or fearful, though that mechanic isn't fully balanced yet). There are small but functional crafting chains allowing you to butcher corpses and cook meals with them, or cut large stones into building blocks, and there is a huge amount of potential for modders to add more (as can already be seen in the modding section of the forums).

So, if you are interested in purchasing a game that is still very much in development, but that features a solid set of basic mechanics already, rimworld might be worth your money. If you'd like a bit more polish, come back in a few months or more and see how things develop.

daft73

Quote from: FowlJ on March 04, 2014, 06:31:14 PM
Well, that depends on what you're looking for.......
So, if you are interested in purchasing a game that is still very much in development, but that features a solid set of basic mechanics already, rimworld might be worth your money. If you'd like a bit more polish, come back in a few months or more and see how things develop.
This is the question you want to ask yourself, do you want a polished 'done' product, or are you feeling adventurous and able to put your trust in it's continued development. The game as it stands is nice, fun to play.
I like to watch games grow, and participating in it as well. The community here is helpful and is growing steadily. So if that sounds good, get the game, and feel free to join the community and help it grow.

colonistPally

Quote from: jonix007 on March 04, 2014, 04:50:07 PM
Buy the game or no ? and why?

It comes down to mindset. This game has a steep learning curve so be prepared to get your arse handed to you for hours. Likewise we're still uncovering defects and funkyness on an almost daily basis plus a lot of features are missing that may or may not exist a year or two from now.

If you like half-complete StarCraft 2 mods, then you might like this. If you want a complete polished done video game then you might want to turn on anything Gamecube / PS2 and prior... because I don't think a game's officially been complete since patches and hotfixes came into existence.

dd0029

The game works. I'll give it that.

I've put easily 40-50 hours into it since I picked it up in January and enjoyed almost every minute. I've only experienced one outright bug that was easily worked around. No game stoppers for me.

The mechanics are mostly sound. However, by now I'm familiar enough with how things work that it can't beat me unless I either drop the ball development wise or hobble myself with outside constraints.  The mid game, right before I get my complete defensive setup, continues to be fun because it's a race to get it completed before a raider wave comes that I don't want to micromanage my way through.

If planning and building is fun for you, I'd definitely say it's worth considering. I've gotten more than my $30 from it.

marilyn934

but now that I bought it, how do I get to use it?  I have not received any instructions...

chaouki

Quote from: marilyn934 on March 07, 2014, 08:01:36 AM
but now that I bought it, how do I get to use it?  I have not received any instructions...

You mean how to install it or how to play it? Installing is very easy. Just extract the WinRAR-Zip archive any place on your computer which creates a folder with the .exe in it.
Playing...well, either you just try it or if you don't like that just look rimworld up on youtube. There are a couple of guys doing let's plays where you can have a glimpse how to do the first steps. Anyway, have fun :)

OnyxShadow

I've already played this game longer than I played Bioshock Infinite, and I LOVE that game.