Art Modifications - Resources

Started by shadowtajun, March 05, 2014, 06:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowtajun

Quote from: palandus on March 07, 2014, 12:16:59 AM
A couple requests shadowtajun / Kylie (which do you prefer?; do you want reference ideas with a request?):

-> Could you do a wall with possibly a horizontal opening, similar to how concrete pillbox looks / bunker?
-> Could you do a door retexture, say one that looks like its made from scrap metal?
-> Could you do a table retexture, say one that looks like its made from scrap metal?

Call me Shadow :) I would love reference ideas with the request, say colours or an example would work great. I assume you want the pillbox hole to work a little like sandbag wall does (but with more cover). I can sort of see how that would work. It might be a little difficult top-down but I'll try. I do have other commitments but I'll try some sketches and post them up soon. Do you want the finished examples here? or directly in your PM box?

Also would you mind if I chuck up the WIP shots on here?

Quote from: Serrate Bloodrage on March 07, 2014, 12:52:03 AM
Hi, Shadow suggested I put my stone table and chair here...so here it is!

WooHOO! indeed I did Serrate Bloodrage (awesome name btw). If there's anyone else doing random art put it in here! Would love to see it!
Blog: www.liteart.tumblr.com
Portfolio: www.shadowtajun.com
Twitter: @tajunshadow

Serrate Bloodrage

I happen to have a table I made out of a composite image of the slag metal from game, not sure if that's what you were talking about palandus. Feel free to use it, though it looks terrible. I did actually mean it that way lol, no pretty slag metal tables for my colonists!
The art belongs to Ludeon Studios, I just mashed it together...badly.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

palandus

Well Shadow, you can post both the WIP and Finished Images here. That way if someone else wants to use the same thing, then they can (by permission and crediting of course).

1] Door
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/225602262557627801/ (A scrap metal door; looks like a bunch of metal plates fused together with rivets everywhere; I'd like to see if it could look like oxidized iron [rusty red], similar to this shot = http://www.oxfordcounty.ca/Services-for-You/Garbage-and-Recycling/Recycling/Specialty-Recycling-Depots/Scrap-metal-depots)

2] Table
http://www.tipsbytom.com/index.php/metal-table-top/ (Start with something simple like this, and add a similar texture to it like the door; riveted metal with a rusty iron red tinge to it, to make it look like it was cobbled together from bits and pieces of scrap metal)

3] Bunker = Yes, you have the right idea; I've the code to make it work, but it looks funny if I just use normal walls ingame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PanoBunker.jpg (Heres an example of what I'm looking for; though somewhat difficult to do in 2D I'm sure)

4] Metal Walls
(Do something similar to the doors/tables; have walls that look like they are made from scrap metal fused and bolted together)

I'm building a mod that goes for more of a "survivalistic" approach, where initial equipment should look like it is cobbled together from whatever they can find, rather than looking like smooth, polished work right from the start. (Smooth and polished stuff should come later with time, research, better equipment and skills). So my mod is looking to have a more Fallout 3 -esque or the Matrix look to it. And one of the best ways to give that feeling is with different textures.

@ Serrate Bloodrage; not quite what I'm looking for, but thanks for the offer. I'm trying to avoid using ingame textures for my mod, and would prefer to have completely new ones... if at all possible.

shadowtajun

D you want this top down? or front on?

palandus

Hmmm. Good question.

Partially front on, but mostly top down. Now, I know that may not make much sense so I'll try to give some examples:

If you take a look at the wall texture ingame, it shows (via shadowing) the top of the wall, the front of the wall, and the sides. This has (in my eye) a partial front on view AND a mostly top-down view. 2.5D if you will or a 2D texture that appears to be 3D without being 3D (hence 2.5D)

The ingame door or table however is full on Top Down view.

Whereas the Sandbags or Droppod Beacon is more front on view, than top down view.

I'd personally like (if you can think of a way) to go for a partial front on view but mostly top down view, so it appears that you look at objects from a top down view at an angle, rather than fully top down viewing. It also, makes it so that you can add additional details to an object that a full on top down view wouldn't allow. (ie a Top Down door has very little space for detail)

The benefit of a partial front view and mostly top down view is that it will look dramatically different that vanilla textures, and allow you to have a larger canvas to show off your fine detail work. Does that work for you; can you maybe whip a WIP image of what you think I mean (to see if my explanation is understandable or not, so that we are on the same page)

Darker

I'd be very grateful for your ideas based on this: http://media.desura.com/images/mods/1/12/11495/TeslaCoilProRender.jpg

It's a turret that blasts enemies using electricity. It charges for a short duration, than blasts. It can overheat.
Currently, I'm stuck with this:
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Serrate Bloodrage

Hey Darker,
Top down view, see what you think.

Add: Unpowered one

Darker

Oh man! This is awesome - and it totally fits the game design!
I wish I could do such things.

Now, I'm getting to work the firing animation, that might take a while.

If there was a problem, that's that the images are a little bit pixelated. I think higher resolution might fix that.

shadowtajun

Nice work Bloodrage! looking awesome

Serrate Bloodrage

Yeah it does look a bit rough doesn't it. I should be able to clean it up pretty easily, which I will do tomorrow morning after I get the kids on the school bus.
@Shadow- My first go at using Aseprite, ty for suggesting it ^^

Darker

Blending the charged sprite over the tower didn't go as expected...

Until I figure it out (or rather someone helps me :D) I'll stick to non-alpha overdrawing:

palandus

Why don't you make it alpha for just one color (what I did to make my preview.png work), such as black?

Darker

What do you mean? The white centre is slowly fading in as the turret charges.
Serrate Bloodrage originally wanted all parts of the tower to fade, but I think that the top is enough.

Serrate Bloodrage

I increased the pixels and cleaned up the edges, looks good in my game but test it in yours.
As for the weapon firing animation- whatever works, I didn't try it in game, I just had a new animation toy to play with and wanted to see what it could do :)

Psyckosama

I could also do some art if people are interested.