Surviving Pawn/Skill Perks

Started by emraldilian, March 05, 2014, 08:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emraldilian

So I recently started playing RimWorld and noticed something felt a bit off when I started being able to fully build up a base that can maintain itself without much trouble, which is, the pawns that got you there barely matter anymore.

I commonly choose a good miner, grower, and social pawn to start. The miner is for the likely case that I'll decide to make an underground base. The grower is for starting up a farm and reeling in tons of food for trade. The social is for easily getting new colonists from raid prisoners.

After the base is built and I have a lot of money/pawns I barely need these guys and couldn't give a fluff if they die 'cause they become replaceable, usually for shooters that can snipe down the raiders that get distracted by my turret emplacements (because that's really all they're good for late game). However I'd like there to be buffs/perks for long surviving pawns, and possibly to balance this, big debuffs for losing them once they've gotten that far.

Now I've already seen a lot of stuff on relationships to form over time so I won't touch on that. Instead I'd like to see small buffs for a pawn who "Knows the colony". This pawn who's been there from the start or survived for a long time, maybe 50~80 days, could get a speed buff for knowing his way around or a loyalty buff for being attached to his home. Then this pawn can become important to keep alive in battle since he's less likely to ditch out when the lights are out and there's dead raiders littering the decimated halls. As well other pawns might lose loyalty when suddenly this pawn who's been doing really well cashes out via raider lead.

I also want to see skill perks for attaining high levels in certain skills. First off, (and I haven't gone through all the suggestion pages but this might already be around) restrictions on low skill characters, buildings/research/crops/weapons/ores can't be built/studied/grown/wielded/mined without proper skill level (Of course I mean this for when the game is expanded with more stuff). Then social characters could gain a large happiness aura, rather than just strong interaction buffs, anyone that can even see this beacon of social greatness gets a little happier. I won't go through every skill but you get the idea.

This all isn't too thought out, just more of a "Hey I'd like to see this!" thing. Also again I didn't read through all of the suggestions so I hope this is at least somewhat new.

BattleFate

I like the idea of a 'long-term survivor' perk. I know which of my pawns survive from the beginning (or close to it), and which ones I only got recently, but the colonists should also recognize that. Relationships is one thing I'm hoping to see soon, but also I like the idea you put forward.