Fire

Started by Hypolite, September 16, 2013, 02:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypolite

Having been affected by fire on my very first run, I have a simple suggestion for colonists behavior.

Don't run into fire, unless healthy (at least 75%) and fighting fire or rescuing a fellow colonist. Or mad.

Jumping voluntarily into fire (as I experienced) should be prohibited, as well as trying to be a hero with low health.

Tynan

You are definitely correct, and this is definitely on the to-do list. And rising in priority.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Maxtimes10tothe6

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but the fire is insanely murderous and fast-spreading. Also, colonists show no reaction or aversion to fire, and there is no apparent way of putting it out. My last couple colonies have been offed this way.

Hypolite

There's a way to extinguish fire manually by selling items on fire. Walls, table, chairs, you can sell them at hot prices. :)

DanielW

It's possible to contain it by cutting the vegetation around it but it's a real pain to make sure your colonists do it in time, and even then they will carelessly walk through the fire and spread it themselves.  Any wildlife around the fire is a recipe for disaster.  I had a couple of lightning strikes burn down the whole map because it was pushing a herd of muffalo in front of it, spreading it everwhere.  It's definitely overly potent right now.  A single feral boomrat can destroy the most powerful of bases.

Tynan

You guys are all correct. The fire isn't finished in that there's no real way to respond to it. "Add firefighting methods" is high on my list of priorities right now, and "AI should avoid fire" is right below. If you want to go hardcore, you can build blasting charges to clear the flames too. Blast-type explosions extinguish fire and don't start new ones.

Hypolite

Good to know, said the guy with Bruce Willis as a profile picture.

Tynan

Just bumping this up to note that I just realized that concrete and other floors will be a firebreak. A line of pavement 3 or 4 tiles wide should be essentially fireproof.

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
Just bumping this up to note that I just realized that concrete and other floors will be a firebreak. A line of pavement 3 or 4 tiles wide should be essentially fireproof.

What if the entire other side of the room was on fire? Would the fire be stopped by the flooring?

Tynan

I mean you could put the pavement outdoors. In like a ring around the colony, or in front of any approaching fire. If it's on the building I think you're pretty much done.

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2013, 05:02:00 PM
I mean you could put the pavement outdoors. In like a ring around the colony, or in front of any approaching fire. If it's on the building I think you're pretty much done.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

FridayBiology

Heat wave event : growth of plants -15% for the day, colonist suffer -10 happiness/-1 health while out side?

Tailor idea : floppy hat : simple hat +1% head protection (stops sunburn maybe?) 30 fabric
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Mattorious

Quote from: Feirfec on December 07, 2014, 01:50:25 AM
Heat wave event : growth of plants -15% for the day, colonist suffer -10 happiness/-1 health while out side?

Tailor idea : floppy hat : simple hat +1% head protection (stops sunburn maybe?) 30 fabric

;D
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Dr. Z

Two tiles stone wall/cancrete/metal tiles will prevent any fire from the outside to spread into your base.
Prasie the Squirrel!