Colonists need to relax

Started by colonistPally, March 06, 2014, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonistPally

Until we can get a counselor role, recreation, and social areas into the game can we please have a job or mode or something that just tells them to relax? I have two colonists that on almost a daily basis are reaching mental breaks despite everyone else being fine, place being clean, bodies taken care of.. but two of them seem to be significantly more mentally fragile. It's starting to really get on my nerves but the game isn't giving me more colonists so I don't have any choice.

I'd love to give them days off but obviously only unchecking all their jobs causes them to wander aimlessly maintaining their mental break status until either their debuffs wear off, they sleep or eat. I can't make them sleep or eat so I just have to watch and it's painful.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease. This mental break thing after my colony is in good shape is very very very frustrating.

daft73

It's been mentioned before, but a canteena, bar..or any assortment of recreational area( think prison architect), would be ideal. Even computers set up in a LAN situation in a room, to geek out.

Vas

It's very very easy for me to keep my colonists happy and their fear way down.  Even if I make them work constantly.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Coenmcj

Colonists being a pain in the ass? Are they complaining about that one body they may of glimpsed 3 days ago? are they whinging their life essential nutrient paste tastes like the rear end of a muffalo?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you need the fear and gibbet package! Simply come down to our store and buy a premium set of gibbet cages, setting them up in essential areas! Fill them up with the corpses of your enemies (Or dissenting colonists!) and beat your prisoners on a daily basis!

Following this simple guide will ensure your colonists will be so scared out of their minds they won't even consider going insane! other colonies use pansy tactics like putting flowerpots everywhere! here over at Praxis seven, if anyone even mentions the word flower they are publically executed!

This has been a public service announcement, sponsored by Praxis 7, Any injuries sustained during your regime are your own fault and we are not liable.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

colonistPally

Quote from: Vas on March 06, 2014, 12:54:44 PM
It's very very easy for me to keep my colonists happy and their fear way down.  Even if I make them work constantly.  :P

Usually this is the case, but I have two colonists that are hitting mental break every 2-3 days with the same or less workload as the rest of the colony. stone or carpeted floors. lights. as much cooked food as I can muster. no bodies. Other colonists fine. It's the same two every 2-3 days.

I guess it's possible on some level they're considered more fragile or have less "mental hp" or something... but... is any of that coded in?

Anyway a "relax" job to put them in until we can get some social activities would be super cool.

or.. just give us the ability to send them to bed over and over and over until they knock their crap off.
or let us set them to "need doctoring" mode where they sleep and someone brings them food until they are completely rested.
or give us counselors that bring them in for talks, temporarily raise their "mental hp" and half their debuffs or something and give them the ability to choose whether or not to send the person to bed.

I mean anything. Every 2-3 days "mental break" from the same two idiots. And one of them is my highest miner. and he isn't even set to mining. they aren't set to anything most of the time. Agahgasdgfafadfasdf

sparda666

plant pot everywhere. especially where these dudes tend to hang out.

I don't understand how they could mental break for no reason even if they are doing nothing but chilling in a gorgeous environments. Do they have beds? Their thoughts panel should tell you why  they are losing happiness. They shouldn't be mental breaking if they are not losing happiness

colonistPally

Quote from: sparda666 on March 07, 2014, 12:01:56 AM
plant pot everywhere. especially where these dudes tend to hang out.

I don't understand how they could mental break for no reason even if they are doing nothing but chilling in a gorgeous environments. Do they have beds? Their thoughts panel should tell you why  they are losing happiness. They shouldn't be mental breaking if they are not losing happiness

I keep forgetting to check. That's the next thing I'm going to do. Then as you mentioned I like the idea of potted plants everywhere. I haven't tried that yet.

Armorat

Quote from: sparda666 on March 07, 2014, 12:01:56 AM
plant pot everywhere.
Yeah, that'd keep everybody pretty dang mellow.  ;)

Tynan

I'm curious what's in their thoughts that's driving them to insanity?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Thracian

Quote from: Tynan on March 08, 2014, 12:58:12 AM
I'm curious what's in their thoughts that's driving them to insanity?
i am curious to bro! highfive xD

UrbanBourbon

I wish that instead of attempting to leave or resorting to violence, the first thing that an upset colonist should try would be to sleep or eat. Resting should also provide a nice chunk of happiness, but not beyond a certain point. Sleeping should not make anyone euphoric. If no food or proper resting areas are available, then rampage. It'd be exceedingly amusing if a colonist would first act normal, but he'd quietly grab some food and a weapon and then casually walk towards the edge of the map in attempt to leave. The player should at that point just get a simple notification "Wilkins has deserted the colony".

Tynan

I do want to make a softer, more gradual breakdown for people going mad.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Untrustedlife

if you do that allow crazy people to use guns.

the fact that they just throw a gun down and beat each other makes no sense, if you are homicidal and have a gun won't you shoot people.

Or commit suicide?
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

SlimeCrusher

Or both... I can imagine the warden saying "Calm down, everything is ok, you don't need to be so angry!"
"You're right... WE'LL DIE TOGETHER! *grabs a granade and hugs the warden*"
lol

colonistPally

Quote from: Untrustedlife on March 10, 2014, 11:41:08 AM
if you do that allow crazy people to use guns.

the fact that they just throw a gun down and beat each other makes no sense, if you are homicidal and have a gun won't you shoot people.

Or commit suicide?

"Homicidal" defined by Merriam-Webster as, "ho�mi�cid�al adjective \ˌh�-mə-ˈsī-dəl, ˌhō-\ : likely to kill someone : of or relating to murder."

A drummed up, abused, and manipulated word by the media to incite and project fear towards legitimate law-abiding citizens. Having a gun doesn't make you automatically shoot people or kill yourself. And who is defined as "crazy" since there isn't a clinical psychologist or otherwise a psychological counselor in the colony? Plus there isn't an attribute in this game called "homicidal." What you said is deeply disturbing and offensive... I am sickened by it.