Where are backstories defined?

Started by TrashMan, August 13, 2016, 06:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

They used to be in BaseFactionTypes, but that file is long gone.

RawCode

they packed into one of game's asset files, you can extract them with help of holy google, if holy power failed two or more times, explain what have you done and what is wrong and community will pray google with you.

TrashMan

I want to edit some existing backstories. The downsides and the numbers of "incapable of" for some is just redicolous.
And the descriptions of some irk me.
And can't find s***. Found a Unity Asset Explorer, but the thing crashes constantly and refuses the extract anything.
And why, for the love of god, would backstories be so inacessable anyway? What was Ty smoking?

CannibarRechter

>  would backstories be so inacessable anyway?

I believe this may have something to do with the paid support system.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

kaptain_kavern

TrashMan

IIRC, CCL adds possibility to add new ones...but I want to edit existing ones.

kaptain_kavern

Isn't it kind of the same things? I mean if you override an existing ones?

TrashMan

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 13, 2016, 01:07:50 PM
Isn't it kind of the same things? I mean if you override an existing ones?

That means I have to re-make ALL OF THEM.
CCL (or the modders resource) doesn't come with the backstories, just a template.

kaptain_kavern

I haven't test messing with back-stories tbh, but I was nearly sure that, has a definition written in xml now (with CCL), they will have behaved like any other things that we mod usually. Meaning that if needed you can override defs - keeping in mind that is not a recommended way and we should use detouring (but hey this I can't do for now)

Sorry if it wasn't the case

RemingtonRyder

If you add some of your own bios using BackstoriesDef, it does help with the skill disablement. Also, it's a lot more appealing to use your own characters when they pop up in the randomiser.

TrashMan

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 13, 2016, 04:14:05 PM
I haven't test messing with back-stories tbh, but I was nearly sure that, has a definition written in xml now (with CCL), they will have behaved like any other things that we mod usually. Meaning that if needed you can override defs - keeping in mind that is not a recommended way and we should use detouring (but hey this I can't do for now)

Sorry if it wasn't the case

So if I make a file with only (for Example) Space colonist, the space colonist will get overwritten? And all others backstories will work normally?
Doesn't the entire file get overwritten (meaning, that only one backstory would appear)

does anyone have a xml with all the core backstories?
I only want to tweak them, having to re-type/re-create everything is a chore.
Too much hassle for something that should be a lot simpler.

DariusWolfe

I've also been asking for this ability; I'm fine with overriding backstories, because there have been a few places where someone's posted the full file of the backstories pulled from the game that would be easy to import.

From what I understand though, overriding isn't currently possible, or it's not possible to fully override all of the existing lists, or some such. It's been a minute since I was researching into the Backstories Core thread, and so far as I know, no additional functionality has been added to CCL beyond what was discussed in the standalone mod's thread. I've asked in the CCL thread if any further work was planned, but it doesn't appear that there is, at this time.