Simple idea to broaden Rimworld's scope :)

Started by Lightzy, August 04, 2016, 09:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightzy

Different win conditions for scenarios.
That way different playthroughs get different playstyles due to different end-goals.
Some win conditions will require creating a large and prosperous town. Others require you to simply build a ship and escape.. Others require to... I dunno, create a successful organ farm or create a massive zoo.

With the 3 current scenarios, I guess:

"Crash landing"
game is won when the colony builds a spaceship and escapes.

Tribe
Game is won when the tribe defeats all other factions on the worldmap (somehow)

Rich Explorer
Possibly win if you create a large and happy town or something for the dude to retire in. In his very lavish office.

So, with some playthroughs you'd be making powerarmor etc while in others you'll be conserving the heck out of plasteel for the ship. In some playthroughs you favor a small tight colony while in others you want a sprawling colony with many warriors, etc etc.

Lightzy

A better suggestion for the tribal start:

Victory upon........drumroll......... destroying the mechanid hive that killed the original village.

You gather the warriors of the tribe, after much training, outfit them as best you can, and attack the mechanid base (different map. Randomized build of hive, but obviously well defended and requiring around 20 pawns to win)

ToXeye

I am reminded of the "arcs" of Dwarf Fortress. DF is huge and could potentially allow a lot of things to be available to the player. The fortress mode, however, hides a lot of those nice stories of the lifespan of a DF world. But the hand-designed things are much more intricate and detailed, most of the time. DF made an example of this by generating HUGE tunnels that go through huge mountains, but without any dwarves to see what so ever. There was no way out or someone to guide the player out of the mountain fortresses. However, a lot of those "arcs" are intangible to the player. Things that don't become used by the player, hidden in the data of the game, without physical representation. However, Toady is slowly making all things connect... I just think that it's possible to create a lot of hollow programming, things that don't make a huge difference in the gameplay.

In some way, I anticipate that if it's possible to mod whole worlds then it is possible to make a split-world or split-map scenario where all the different positions can be visited. I think that the game could handle a few extra maps without crashing...

And then there's concurrent view ports.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Lightzy

Quote from: ToXeye on August 11, 2016, 01:29:15 PM
In some way, I anticipate that if it's possible to mod whole worlds then it is possible to make a split-world or split-map scenario where all the different positions can be visited. I think that the game could handle a few extra maps without crashing...

And then there's concurrent view ports.

I imagine it isn't too hard to more planes on the Z axis so you can dig down, which would be totally awesome, but... it'd be too close to DF I guess, and rimworld is never going to be DF... the kind of ... insane.. dedication that the DF devs have is something that simply doesn't exist)

ToXeye

It is possible to implement one thing at a time, but people have expensive ideas. Z-planes is expensive. Multiple world maps is less expensive.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

MarcTheMerc

Quote from: Lightzy on August 11, 2016, 02:24:45 PM
I imagine it isn't too hard to more planes on the Z axis so you can dig down, which would be totally awesome, but... it'd be too close to DF I guess, and rimworld is never going to be DF... the kind of ... insane.. dedication that the DF devs have is something that simply doesn't exist)
From a practicality standpoint RimWorld will probably never have z-levels due to the amount of effort it would require.

Quote from: Lightzy on August 12, 2016, 03:23:26 AM
A simple implementation is that every 2 harvests, soil goes down 20%, something like that.
Forcing you to rotate fields.

Then again... Have to consider the gameplay benefits vs. the microhell
Also i think you may have posted this in the wrong thread?
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

ToXeye

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on August 12, 2016, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: Lightzy on August 12, 2016, 03:23:26 AM
A simple implementation is that every 2 harvests, soil goes down 20%, something like that.
Forcing you to rotate fields.

Then again... Have to consider the gameplay benefits vs. the microhell
Also i think you may have posted this in the wrong thread?

It's his tread, but yes... this thread confuses things. Even I myself confuse things in this thread. I don't know what the thread is about, since it's about multiple things. But I will recap on the first post.

Oh yes, the first post was about custom victory conditions. In all honesty, people want the gameplay between start and finish, as making different victory conditions is not the most interesting from a gameplay perspective.

I then introduced, through a convoluted dwarf fortress reference, how to add concurrent maps in existence. This then became a story about how to add more z levels. However, I know since a long time ago that Z levels just make games less intuitive. And to be honest, more map locations would also make the game difficult to handle.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ToXeye

So, how would these custom game modes be changed so that the storytellers follow suite?

*edit/addition* I think that the storytellers might not need to be changed if there's ways to change the parameters of the world that the storyteller works in. Such as if there are no pirates, the story teller will choose some of the tribals instead.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Lightzy

Z axis isn't more difficult than a second map.
It's the same thing exactly..
Except with access points.
You got cave systems, you can mine it out etc.

Regardless, this is a thread about win conditions which then affect the playstyle of every playthrough, so...
More about that :>

Varying win conditions change the way you play the game, so you have basically many games in one. One vic. condition would require you to build as big as you can, while another will require you to conserve as much as possible in order to fund a great project (spaceship)... one would require you to gather a large army and do something with it, while another would require you to ... I dunno.

Point is, you as the player have a goal in mind, which is important. The game and mechanics are still the same, but you use them differently, instead of the same exact every time (as it is now)

ToXeye

Quote from: Lightzy on August 12, 2016, 12:33:27 PM
Point is, you as the player have a goal in mind, which is important. The game and mechanics are still the same, but you use them differently, instead of the same exact every time (as it is now)

Indeed. Instead of playing the goal, most of the time the game is to play the events. Fleshing out the game with huge amounts of possible events, items, pawns... that's why the game has yet to see more than three storytellers. It's a bit "middling" if I may use that word. The game has a lot going for it, as it is. I visit this part of the forum a lot, so I guess I have many ideas. I heard that the next thing that Tynan wants to tackle is medicine and drugs.

Do note that it's possible to mod the storytellers somewhat already, even though I do not know how it would affect the visual impression of the game. And the world generation is also moddable. Z levels are less visual. I remember playing dwarf fortress when it was still one level only, and no constructions just dig holes in the ground. When Z levels arrived, the game became much more complex, but visually confusing. Z levels aside, this thread is about making rimworld larger. Plenty of mods add new things. However, I have noticed that a lot of time is just waiting for the pawns to finish their work so that you can plan new things.

The best thing that a game can do is attract new players. I think Rimworld is already pretty good for new players the way it currently is. I can recall thinking that the game is limited and rigid on its course toward the inevitable end. Some games let you stagnate and think "yea I think I won, let's do something else". Some games cut you off and make you think "let's do something else". Some games are in the middle and let you think "just one more hour!". I would think that the game is not yet so rich that it enables the player to stop playing, while it is not so repetitive that the player notices that the game is over.
*addition* but I guess I play for lack of better things to do

So I think that the real thing to consider is waiting for the new version of the game, playing sporadically or in spurts that allow you to experience the latest version as it is. Rimworld is getting broader scopes for every update. It is still the same end game, but before the end game is going to be updated the gameplay has to incorporate new stories.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\