outdated mods list

Started by skellitor301, August 13, 2016, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellitor301

So, one sad fact about modding is some of the great mods that people enjoy tend to become dead and outdated due to the mod author not updating it anymore or disappearing altogether. Could there be a mod list where people can request for some of these mods to be updated and anyone who mods can pick up the project on their own time? I know there are modders out there who make patches for some of these mods, but they can get lost in the threads from people posting. So instead of that, a list or some system could be set in place to allow dated/dead mods to be updated and easily found. I for one would be very happy to see some of the good old mods back in the current versions of the game, and I'm sure many other players would enjoy that as well.

The issue with updating other peoples work is that they may only be temporarily indisposed or unable to do it themselves.  When I update someone else's work I tend to either not share it, only do it after a significant time period has elapsed or repost the update in their mod thread with the specific statement that it's been done in their absence and they retain all rights to the work.

For your own purposes, you can do as you like.  Just be careful about sharing any changes you make in regards to the original authors license.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

skellitor301

Well yea I'm not saying they lose the rights to the mod, but at the same time people who are fans of the mods will want to play it, and sometimes actively stay behind a few versions to enjoy it. People shouldn't really have to deal with that just to enjoy a game, having to chose between a good mod or newer features just because an author doesn't update. What I suggest is any freelance modder would put on the list an update to a mod that's dead and isn't actively updated. It's more of a preservation project if you will, not adding or removing any features, but making it so the mod is playable. And yes if the mod author does come back with a new update or if they say they're actively working on it again, then yeah that's great, they still have the right to do so.

There really is no real reason to get bent out of shape for someone keeping a mod up to date, it's keeping their work active and allowing more people to enjoy the work they put into the mod instead of letting the work go to waste as it goes into the outdated section.

To make it simple, they can be called legacy updates, that way people can play the mod using the legacy update until the mod author makes an official update to the mod. The legacy update can easily be made temporary, the modder who updates can get some experience, and the original mod author doesn't have the unneeded pressure to update the mod or stay active when they may not have the ability to. The community can take care of the mod, and the mod author can pick it back up when they return and/or are able to.