[A18] More Mental Breaks

Started by twoski, August 13, 2016, 11:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

Quote from: 123nick on August 15, 2016, 12:53:42 PM
i think compulsive cleaning should have increased chance to occur if ur colonist is neurotic or very neurotic.

I want to do this but i can't until tynan changes how Spectrum traits (ie Neurotic etc) are implemented.

twoski

someone reported to me that the compulsive cleaning break  happens to pawns who cannot clean. so i'm not sure what to do. maybe i should just make those pawns do something other than cleaning?

Kaaven

Maybe make them move the movable furniture around - furniture re-arranging amok, or something to that nature - if possible ;)

Fluffe

Quote from: twoski on August 16, 2016, 05:12:56 PM
someone reported to me that the compulsive cleaning break  happens to pawns who cannot clean. so i'm not sure what to do. maybe i should just make those pawns do something other than cleaning?

I would keep it I mean pawns who beserk even if they cant fight normaly they will if beserked lol

twoski

I did some digging and it looks like the alcoholic binge mental break only happens if there is beer available. So similarly, the compulsive mental break only happens if your pawn can haul OR clean (they are allowed to have one or both of those requirements).

I also made changes to the verbal abuse mental break. It was suggested that it should have a high chance to happen for pawns with the Abrasive trait, which is a good idea.

I also patched a bug with the verbal abuse mental break where pawns would cause errors if they left the home base.

JT

I had an interesting bug where I was spammed with "created 10 jobs in 10 ticks" errors in the debug console when a pawn had the "insulting" mental break and was way off in the wilderness.  My best guess is that the pawn had no one in range and so when she broke down, I guess it kept looking for targets and finding none at ludeonicrous speed.

As soon as someone approached within about 20 tiles on a hauling job, she un!&$%ed herself and the mental break started working normally. =)

twoski

Fixed.

Also caught another bug with the verbal abuse mental break which happens when there's only one pawn left. I assume it is a problem with them attempting to find someone to insult, but everyone is dead. I will fix it later.

twoski

Someone suggested i do a "lazy" break where the pawn continues normally but sometimes will wander around instead of doing the job assigned to them. I think i'll add that.

123nick

Quote from: twoski on August 19, 2016, 01:26:43 PM
Fixed.

Also caught another bug with the verbal abuse mental break which happens when there's only one pawn left. I assume it is a problem with them attempting to find someone to insult, but everyone is dead. I will fix it later.

i think i had a problem like that too. someone went verbal abuse, they just stood completely stationary, they didn't need to eat or sleep, its like they are frozen in time. i had someone melee attack him and that fixed it.

twoski

Ok i think i fixed it but please let me know if you spot any more errors with the verbal abuse mental break.

I've updated the mod and added a new minor mental break...

> Apathy: The pawn becomes lethargic and will often wander around instead of working. They cannot be manually assigned to tasks or drafted while they are apathetic.
    - High base chance to occur.

Lomano

Such luck, much love, wow.

henk

Well, I thought I would submit a few mental break ideas to spice up the game a little.

Minor breaks
Personally, I think there should be more minor breaks which don't really threaten the colony, but annoy you nonetheless and don't give much catharsis.

Hugs!
The pawn has had enough of all the harshness around here and goes around hugging people without warning.
Hugged pawns get a random mood bonus (I was hugged! That was nice) or penalty (Someone hugged me without warning! That was weird)
More likely if : Kind, Optimist, Sanguine, psychically sensitive
Less likely if : Pessimist, Depressive, Psychopath

Bad food
The pawn is tired of the bad food; they immediately cook and eat a lavish meal.
More likely if : cooking passion

More greenery
The pawn goes outside and grows plants. They can plant any plant that will grow in the current biome, including plants that aren't normally plantable (grass, bush, raspberry).
More likely if : Green thumb, growing passion, ugly environment
Less likely if : hostile weather

Hoarder
The pawn moves gold and silver to their bedroom. It will be forbidden until the break ends.
More likely if : Greedy, rich colony

Fire good
The pawns starts a fire! Outside. With firewood.
The pawn started a campfire.
They will stay around it for some time, gaining social and meditative joy.
More likely if : pyromaniac, heat lover

Runner
Enough sitting down! Time for a race! The pawn runs around (extra move speed while this is in effect), gaining joy and decreasing rest quickly.
More likely if : Jogger, fast walker
Less likely if : slowpoke

Need some lovin'
The pawn grabs their partner and carries them to their bed for some lovin'.

Pet play
The pawn finds colony pets and goes to play with them. May accidentally form bonds.
More likely if : animals skill passion

Taming
The pawn goes out to tame non-hostile animals.
More likely if : animals skill passion, colony has no animal
Less likely if : hostile weather

Player
The pawns starts hitting on every colonist available. Some more than once. Will stop if successful. Does not get a "rebuffed" penalty from this because, seriously...
More likely if : Beautiful, Pretty, Ugly, Staggeringly ugly (yes, all of them)

Cosmic voices
The pawns starts hearing cosmic voices that only they can hear. No, really! Stop laughing!
They will walk around performing random tasks (hauling, cleaning, socializing). Requires Psychically sensitive/hypersensitive.
More likely if : psychic event underway, too smart

This looks tasty
The pawn eats food they really shouldn't eat - raw meat, kibble, hay, hops, healroot. They will get food poisoning.
More likely if : ascetic, cannibal, masochist
Less likely if : high cooking skill

Do it right!
The pawn deconstructs a low-quality piece of furniture (below normal quality) and reconstructs it.
More likely if : construction passion, neurotic, very neurotic
Less likely if : lazy, slothful

Eureka!
The pawn is convinced they can find something useful. They will rush to a research bench, displacing whoever is using it, and research until food or rest gets low.
Produces nothing, or a small amount of research in a random research.
More likely if : too smart, research passion

Ugly stone chunks!
The pawn is tired of ugly stone chunks everywhere. They will break down stone chunks (removes stone chunks and produces debris).
More likely if : low beauty, mining passion
Less likely if : ascetic

I'm a therapist
The pawn goes to talk to other pawns, getting them to open up. Other pawns stop what they're doing for a while and get a small cathasis mood bonus.
More likely if : social passion, medicine passion, kind, sanguine, optimist
Less likely if : psychopath, abrasive, pessimist, depressive

Singing mood
The pawn sings... poorly. Anyone within earshot will get a mood penalty.
More likely if : annoying voice, creepy breathing, optimist

Moderate breaks
Crafting
A pawn starts making an item, and doesn't stop until it's done. Said item should be something that can be done in one sitting and requiring a crafting skill which the pawn has a passion for.
More likely if : crafting passion, Too smart, Neurotic

Drugs bad!
The pawn starts grabbing any drug and burning them. Will stop if arrested or out of drugs.
More likely if : teetotaller, someone is addicted, recovering from addiction
Less likely if : chemical interest

Drugs good!
The pawn starts taking drugs, and will invite others to partake. Others who partake can be stopped, but it'll give the breaking pawn a mood penalty.
More likely if : Chemical interest, addicted

Conquering nature
The pawn goes to hunt a dangerous animal. Will not stop unless arrested.
More likely if : shooting/melee passion, low food, bloodlust, psychopath

I did bad
The pawn sets themselves as prisoner and locks themselves up. Requires available prisoner bed (obviously).
More likely if : pawn accidentally harmed another pawn (friendly fire, failed surgery)

Depression
The pawn is depressed, and nothing seems to cheer them up. Lasts for days, and gives a movement speed penalty
More likely if : pessimist, depressive, nervous, volatile
Less likely if : Steadfast, iron willed, optimist, sanguine

Sick
The pawn's unhappiness has caused them to get sick. Pawns catches the flu.
More likely if : pessimist, depressive, naked

No medication
The pawn is refusing treatment for their injury (non-bleeding only) or disease.
More likely if : abrasive, masochist, teetotaler
Less likely if : too smart

Self medication
The pawn believes they are sick and will use medication in "treat" themselves. May use drugs in the process.
More likely if : chemical interest, chemical fascination
Less likely if : teetotaler

The pawn starts insulting and chasing (men/women). Requires the Dislikes men/women trait.
More likely if : psychopath, bloodlust, abrasive
Less likely if : kind

This is not art!
The pawn finds offence with a piece of artwork and will attack it until it breaks or until they get arrested.
More likely if : artistic passion

Extreme breaks
Unhygienic
The pawn has been too unhappy to follow basic hygiene guidelines and has gotten sick. Catches the plague, malaria, sleeping sickness or a random limb infection.
More likely if : lazy, slothful
Less likely if : neurotic, very neurotic

Mad science!
The pawn was experimenting with mechanites and accidentally released some in the colony. Several pawns catch a mechanite-based disease, starting with those closer to the breaking pawn.
More likely if : psychopath, too smart, prostophile, research passion
Less likely if : can't research, prostophobe,

Poisonous food
The pawn poisons a food stack. The stack isn't marked as poisoned, but will likely give food poisoning to anyone who eats from it.
More likely if : psychopath, chemical interest, chemical fascination

Awaiting the "most of them aren't feasible" reply.

DariusWolfe

Bunch of really neat ideas, but yeah, a lot of these would take a LOT of coding to make happen.

System.Linq

I would actually say that, more than them not being feasible, they just don't meet the criteria for a mental break. Mental breaks aren't just "a pawn does one thing." It's a continuous behavior throughout the mental state until they get over it. A tantrum isn't "the pawn runs over to one thing, breaks it, and then goes back to work."