[A18] More Mental Breaks

Started by twoski, August 13, 2016, 11:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

i was thinking about making an extreme version of antisocial where a pawn moves to an adjacent hexagon on the world map.. not sure if it's doable though

henk

In the context of Rimworld, and in particular minor breaks, I always figured mental breaks were a way of saying "Pawn has had enough and decides to disobey orders". They do whatever they want, particularly things that they enjoy, to relieve stress. Perhaps the breaks listed don't qualify as breaks in the medical sense, but they're (mostly) things you might see someone doing when they need stress relief, and they would, for the most part, make the game more interesting, not less; that is the essence of game design.

System.Linq

No, mental breaks in the context of Rimworld are supposed to be "pawn is too upset to control their behavior and goes on a bender for a given amount of time, then feels better afterward." Minor mental breaks are not necessarily disruptive in that sense, but they are 100% things that happen for a duration: hiding in your room, slacking off of work, etc. Mental breaks are not just stress relief, the person is broken. Going to use the horseshoes so you feel better from tons o' joy is stress relief.

The problem with the breaks listed is that they generally summarize themselves as "pawn goes and does this thing." That's just not a mental break unless they do it over and over and over. Here's an example of an actual mental break using one of your ideas.

Ravenous: The pawn needs to drown themselves in food and they're the only ones who can make it right. They cook the best quality meals that they can and eat them until the break ends.

henk

So perhaps the term "minor mental break" isn't particularly accurate in this situation, but having ways for your pawns to say "nuts" to your orders for just a little while would still spice up the game nicely. Call it what you want, but in the end we all just want an interesting game.

twoski

i do think a joy binge would be a fitting minor mental break since we already have food and drug binges

faltonico

Will this work with just a version change for A17?

twoski

will be updating this weekend

faltonico

twoski

Really stoked to see that tynan added pretty much all of these to vanilla rimworld... Though i still think that Self harm, Apathy and Antisocial should be added.

crazyroosterman

was going to post that exact thing here congrats!.
I guess tynana must look at that mob submission thread even if he never posts in it.

twoski

I'll work on updating this for A18, when i get the time

twoski

Updated... It's a bit more barebones now since most of these mental breaks got added to vanilla rimworld, but there's still 4 of them!

TryB4Buy

This looks cool but isn't apathetic wilderness searching just a rename for "sad wanderer?"

Also:
" Could not find a type named JobDriver_Abuse
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.ParseHelper:FromString(String, Type)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ObjectFromXml(XmlNode, Boolean)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Refl "

twoski

Hmm, maybe sad wanderer was added too and i didnt notice it. I'll check for that error. Did you use the steam version or are you playing offline?

TryB4Buy