solar not working?

Started by ahowe42, August 14, 2016, 04:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahowe42

The other day, I installed my solar panels in a dug-out section of rock (like where I typically dig out for the colonists to live).  They never produced any power at all, which I'm guessing is because there was a roof that I could not see.  Is there any control over roofing?

As a bit of an explanation - in a previous scenario with my solar panels outside, raider came and destroyed them with frag grenades. Hence, I wanted to put them "inside" (but obviously not covered!).

Thanks!
Andrew

Kagemusha12

Yes, there is control over roofing.

The Architect, under Zones/Areas, contains 4 buttons for:

• Expand build roof area
  • Clear build roof area
  • Expand no roof area
  • Clear no roof area

Michigo

Small lil detail:
Without mods natural roofs (in mountaincaves) can't be detroyed. ;)

ahowe42

Quote from: Canute on August 14, 2016, 06:08:17 AM
Why do you think they are called solar panels and not cave panels ? :-)
Just place them outside like before and build a wall around them, set these area to noroof.
Best would be to combine 1 wind turbine with 1 panel before and 2 panels behind the turbine. The panels prevent trees to spawn and don't block the wind for the turbine.
On long term you should build some floors there too.
Don't forget to build an alternate powerline in case raider/event destroy one.

Why should I waste my limited steel resources to build walls when I can just use natural stone cave walls :-D?

Andrew

Kagemusha12

Quote from: ahowe42 on August 14, 2016, 06:26:55 AM
Quote from: Canute on August 14, 2016, 06:08:17 AM
Why do you think they are called solar panels and not cave panels ? :-)
Just place them outside like before and build a wall around them, set these area to noroof.
Best would be to combine 1 wind turbine with 1 panel before and 2 panels behind the turbine. The panels prevent trees to spawn and don't block the wind for the turbine.
On long term you should build some floors there too.
Don't forget to build an alternate powerline in case raider/event destroy one.

Why should I waste my limited steel resources to build walls when I can just use natural stone cave walls :-D?

Andrew

You don't need steel to build walls ... you can also build them out of wood or stone blocks ;)
(IIRC gold, silver or jade would be also a valid building material ... but that might be a little bit costly ;) )

Shurp

Has anyone created a mod to make walls out of the bones of enemy attackers?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

pdxsean

Quote from: ahowe42 on August 14, 2016, 06:26:55 AM

Andrew
Right-click on the wall icon before you build it, and there will be a menu of materials to choose from. Typically, building walls out of stone is the way to go. Stone walls have more HP and also are not flammable.

You can also change the materials used for many other items (work benches, furniture) which allow you to use whatever resource you have the most of. Keep in mind for some items like beds the material used will affect the effectiveness in many ways.

zandadoum

Quote from: Shurp on August 14, 2016, 08:06:53 AM
I had a mod ages ago that used meat (human) to make walls xD

As for the OP: Tynan already said he'll implement a tool to view roofs better. Right now, to see if you have a mountain roof, you'd have to use the dev tools.

Serenity

In large mountains you can also run into open sections deeper "in" the mountain. You think it's all solid rock and suddenly there are large open areas.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: zandadoum on August 14, 2016, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: Shurp on August 14, 2016, 08:06:53 AM
I had a mod ages ago that used meat (human) to make walls xD

What a waste ...
there's only one proper use for human meat:
Food for your prisoners  ;D