[A15] MugenZ's mod: Food Analytics Tab, estimating crop yields and consumption

Started by mugenzebra, November 20, 2016, 11:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mugenzebra

How I started
I personally play Rimworld like farmville, and I found managing animals are hard, especially once I started raising about 200 animals. So I created this mod to help alleviating the efforts of managing animals, as of now (will add some numbers for colonists later). This mod shows calculations and graphs in a tab, where there are two sub-tabs, one showing a graph containing projected estimates of yields and stocks for a number of days, which is adjustable through the horizontal slider, up to 60 days; the other tab has more verbose calculations, you can take a look at the screenshot. My personal best record on the number of animals I can feed is around 600, and it was with the help with my mod.

Screenshots

Usage
This mod is built based on the assumption of feeding herbivores with hay and feeding carnivores/omnivores with kibbles. All estimated yields and consumption are based on real-time states of the crops and animals. So to get the best estimated value, for example for crops grown outdoor, it's better to wait until light is 100%, which is usually around 9-10AM. For animals, hunger rates will be much slower if they are hungry, urgently hungry or starving; animals eat whenever they feel hungry, so animals' hunger rate will mostly stay at their maximum values if food is enough. We will take this as an assumption and use their maximum hunger rates as the basis for our projected consumption rate. To obtain the best calculation, it's simply better to wait until all animals are fed, perhaps around 9AM, based on my personal experience.
On top of the graph, there are dots that indicate the important dates. You can hover over them to see descriptions. One important date I consider is the end date of growing season. Once when growing season is over, crops grown outside won't grow, this is not taking into account fully yet, but once the cold season hits, you won't be able to see much yields. This suffices for my personal usage at least.
There's a horizontal slider at the bottom of the graph tab. It allows changing number of days to be graphed and calculated, from 1 to 60 days.

Download Link: https://github.com/mugenZebra/Food-Analytics-Tab/archive/master.zip

License: MIT

My Plans
I have many features to be added. I'll try to add them when I see fit as I play Rimworld and test my mod at the same time. Features I wish to add include
1. working on better model for predicting: (this is a little difficult, need to think about how to do it.)
    a. accounting for eggs and pregnant animals to prediction population growth and food consumption,
    b. accounting for slaughtering animals and meat production amount,
    c. calculating optimal size of growing zones and number of crops needed to feed colonists and livestocks,
    d. factoring in work, amount of time,
2. choosing food sources, done, also tested with Vegetable Garden and other mods that add plants
3. potentially implementing bar graphs if I got a chance after core features
4. adding note-taking capability, done
5. showing a list of animal species and their adult, infant, teen number, and total nutrition consumption , done

Finals words
This is my first mod after playing Rimworld for 3 weeks. I personally would like to have some feedbacks, so please don't hesitate to comment. Thanks!

update #1:
implemented a bunch of functionalities, currently stock prediction is not enabled, I am working on building better way to allow users to build a model on the fly.
Analytics sub-tab page is not usable because I overhaul the entire code.

Rhine

I honestly never really use animals other than for hauling and because having wolves is cool, but this seems like a pretty good mod for anybody who does use them largely, promising mod.

mugenzebra

I just love seeing my wolf packs hunting down targets LOL. So I love having animals. Hauling is great, I wouldn't be able to grow large amount of hay without my 120+ wolfs and dogs helping me out hauling all the crops.

darktoes

This seems great but I think I'll wait for the colonist features to actually use it.
Do you think you'll do a Steam release?

AngleWyrm

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh