[SUGGESTION] Alpha 15 - Extended deterioration

Started by Andy_Dandy, August 15, 2016, 04:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_Dandy

In my opinion it would improve upon the game if some more ressources were deteriorating. As of now you can wait forever with hauling in leathers and beer etc from drop pods, for instance. It would be nice for gameplay if we had to harder prioritize this hauling, and also prioritize some more indoors storing.

Main ressources that should deteriorate to benefit realism and gameplay that now at the present time isn't:

- Leather: I suggest it losing 1-2 hitpoints a day, but 5 hitpoints in strong sun (more then 20-25 celsius?), or in rain or snow.

- Bodyparts: Rottening process based on temperature as we have for meat/food + the deterioration system based on hitpoints? I'd love to make dedicated freezers for bodyparts and medicine next to my hospitals. rottening/deteriorating bodyparts would do that more worthwhile.

- Chocolate: Might be deteriorating now in the latest alphas. I'll check when I come home.

- Beer: Bottles are keeping the beer "safe", but temperature, stormy weather, animals walking arround are all things that will make the content vanish over time, due to broken bottles. I suggest a very fast deterioration rate in freezing temperatures and stormy weather.

- Meat: Is only rotting today, should also deteriorate like vegetables to make outdoor storage of meat during wintertime less preferable.

ZestyLemons

Don't goods with hit points (e.g. clothing) already degrade in weather like rain and snow? (Unless it was removed recently). Organs rotting if not refrigerated is a pretty neat idea though.

I don't agree with stackable resources degrading per day or in weather, as it leads to ambiguity when they stack. If one log has 75/100 HP, and another has 60/100 HP, how do you display that clearly to a player when they're stacked together? If there's just one log that's 10/100 HP in a stack of 75 logs, does the whole pile say it's damaged logs if you average it out? On another point, it doesn't make sense for resources like steel or rock to degrade per day, as those are very tough resources that erode and get damaged very slowly.

In short, I think having deterioration on stackable resources like wood, leather, metal, food, etc, would not add to the game significantly.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: ZestyLemons on August 15, 2016, 04:56:58 AM
Don't goods with hit points (e.g. clothing) already degrade in weather like rain and snow? (Unless it was removed recently). Organs rotting if not refrigerated is a pretty neat idea though.

I don't agree with stackable resources degrading per day or in weather, as it leads to ambiguity when they stack. If one log has 75/100 HP, and another has 60/100 HP, how do you display that clearly to a player when they're stacked together? If there's just one log that's 10/100 HP in a stack of 75 logs, does the whole pile say it's damaged logs if you average it out? On another point, it doesn't make sense for resources like steel or rock to degrade per day, as those are very tough resources that erode and get damaged very slowly.

In short, I think having deterioration on stackable resources like wood, leather, metal, food, etc, would not add to the game significantly.

Stackable ressources like wood and food already deteriorates, and I think it makes perfect sense both from a realism and gameplay perspective. For instance it makes two steps of improved storage for food. First one is starting to store indoors, rewarding you with no more deterioration, then storing in a freezer to avoid rottening. It also makes it possible for food to don't rot outside in the winter, but still deteriorate. Without these mechanisms you would be alot less rewarded for making good storage spots in many, many circumstances, and less worried about efficient hauling.

When it comes to the stacking of different hitpoint valued goods, I think that works very well as it works in game now. You get the average value of the hitpoints. It's an OK working compromise, when you count in all the benefits it gives to gameplay in a whole.

I agree rocks, steel, plasteel, stone bricks still can be not deteriorating, and suited for outdoor storage, since they deteriorate extremely slowly and to make some ressources need good indoors storing more urgent then others. But of course then more exposed for theft by raiders. ;) I suspect especially valuable materials like silver and gold will be smart to store safely inside because of this, in future versions of Rimworld, if Tynan expands on the theft system.