Glitterworld Ships

Started by AHappyMuffalo, August 19, 2016, 11:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHappyMuffalo

In Rimworld lore, faster than light and long-range communication between planets is impossible. This means that there are no vast interstellar empires and few advanced planets beyond the core worlds in the centre of the galaxy.

Glitterworlds are these advanced planets. I presume these glitterworlds would be planets with functional governments, advanced technology beyond the rest of the galaxy, and very little crime.

The suggestion: (I highly recommend you read the top two paragraphs if you haven't)
Perhaps in a mission to help worlds further away from the galactic core, charities from glitterworlds send automated glitterworld ships to help these distant worlds in their struggle. Perhaps to make it as advanced as them or to send some little aid, these ships rarely come by, carrying advanced technology, well educated individuals willing to join the colony and rare materials such as plasteel.

Vulcandead789

I can see this to be implemented to the game...Or even a mod for this...This is a very good suggestion !

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: AHappyMuffalo on August 19, 2016, 11:35:54 AMIn Rimworld lore, faster than light and long-range communication between planets is impossible. This means that there are no vast interstellar empires and few advanced planets beyond the core worlds in the centre of the galaxy.
There are no colonized planets anywhere near the center of the galaxy. Humanity has had space travel for ~1,500 years. The Milky Way is 100,000 light years across. Even if we assume that humanity is capable of actual light speed travel, that's enough time to travel 3% of the distance from the edge to the core. Earth isn't at the very edge of the Milky Way, but it's pretty far out.

The suggestion: (I highly recommend you read the top two paragraphs if you haven't)
Perhaps in a mission to help worlds further away from the galactic core, charities from glitterworlds send automated glitterworld ships to help these distant worlds in their struggle. Perhaps to make it as advanced as them or to send some little aid, these ships rarely come by, carrying advanced technology, well educated individuals willing to join the colony and rare materials such as plasteel.[/quote]
Good source of pacifists/organ-incubators and materials for making weapons!

I get the feeling that charitable organizations would look at the militant hellscape that is my colony, surrounded by mountains of charred corpses, and decide that the best thing they could do for the good of the planet is to open fire upon it from orbit.

AHappyMuffalo

Quote from: Pax_Empyrean on August 20, 2016, 02:36:08 AM
Quote from: AHappyMuffalo on August 19, 2016, 11:35:54 AMIn Rimworld lore, faster than light and long-range communication between planets is impossible. This means that there are no vast interstellar empires and few advanced planets beyond the core worlds in the centre of the galaxy.
There are no colonized planets anywhere near the center of the galaxy. Humanity has had space travel for ~1,500 years. The Milky Way is 100,000 light years across. Even if we assume that humanity is capable of actual light speed travel, that's enough time to travel 3% of the distance from the edge to the core. Earth isn't at the very edge of the Milky Way, but it's pretty far out.

Perhaps in a mission to help worlds further away from the galactic core, charities from glitterworlds send automated glitterworld ships to help these distant worlds in their struggle. Perhaps to make it as advanced as them or to send some little aid, these ships rarely come by, carrying advanced technology, well educated individuals willing to join the colony and rare materials such as plasteel.
Good source of pacifists/organ-incubators and materials for making weapons!

I get the feeling that charitable organizations would look at the militant hellscape that is my colony, surrounded by mountains of charred corpses, and decide that the best thing they could do for the good of the planet is to open fire upon it from orbit.
[/quote]

Read the lore here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

and here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fUO3KKbAbTxMP1lqphnnodY0NPoOVblCUkDw-54MDUc/pub
"These worlds can't communicate. Because it turned out that Einstein was right. Despite thousands of years of study, it turned out that nothing - no information, no matter - can travel faster than light."

Since very few people on the Glitterworlds would know what's going on, and since the people who did know may be very charismatic, there would more than likely be a few charities that help out the Rimworlds.

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: AHappyMuffalo on August 20, 2016, 07:02:27 AMRead the lore here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub
I stand corrected on the date, but the core is still not colonized. If we invented light speed travel tomorrow, then 3500 years would be enough to travel 7% of the distance toward the core from the edge of the galaxy. The core is not colonized.