How to get megatherium wool?

Started by Dead_End_Road, August 15, 2016, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead_End_Road

Hello, I've never tried to get wool off animals so i dunno how it works, Can you get Megatherium wool just by having one or is there something else to it?

Kagemusha12

By taming a Megatherium and then waiting till his wool has grown, so your animal handlers automatically get the shearing job.

Or by buying the wool from traders ... or by getting drop pods with Megatherium wool

Dead_End_Road

So its just auto collects it? Ok cool, thanks.

Serenity

It's kinda like growing crops. You wait for the wool to grow and when it's at 100% the animal person will come to cut it off.

Also works with other animals like muffalos.

RimJimMcGee

Don't forget that - like growing crops - the person who "harvests" the wool might just dump it all in a pile where they stand and then go for lunch or something. I think wool, like eggs etc, gets automatically forbidden if the sheared animal is outside the "Home" zone, too, so it might be worth making sure the animal's in the home zone or checking round the pastures occasionally.

Mehni

The wool isn't forbidden when a colonist shaves an animal, regardless of homezone. I have a herd of muffalo grazing outside my base, and the wool gets hauled in without me doing anything.

I think it follows the same reasoning as unforbidden kills from tamed predators; because someone/thing from your faction interacted with it, it is unforbidden.

RimJimMcGee

Ah right, good to know. Forgot about the unforbidden kills thing. Wish it did that with eggs too, although really I should just be better at controlling the chicken population instead of going "oh sod it, just roam outside the base and stop starving".