Incorrect Verification question...

Started by lorebot, August 15, 2016, 05:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorebot

So I just joined the forums and was posting a reply to a comment and was going through the Verification questions when this one had me totally stumped:

'The primary colors are red, green, and _____'

I'm was immensely confused by this because the primary colors are red, blue, and yellow...green is not a primary color...it's a combination of blue and yellow and thus is a secondary color.

Now, I know that in the case of TVs and computer monitors they work on an RGB (red, green, blue) color scale...but that doesn't make green a primary color. It just means that the human brain is weird and making true yellow on a screen is difficult so we trick our brains into seeing yellow because it's easier and cheaper that way.

milon

lorebot

Quote from: milon on August 16, 2016, 08:50:39 AM
Actually it *is* a primary color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_color

There are many different color scales in use, but the most basic and the one most commonly taught in schools is RYB (red, yellow, blue) because those are the primary colors used in art. The wiki article about Primary Colors mentions this, but seems to focus on the RGB (red, green, blue) color scale because it's what is most common in the world of technology. The article also talks about the CYM (cyan, yellow, magenta) color scale but if you took a poll I doubt most people would agree that cyan or magenta are Primary Colors.

I suppose it's just personal preference or what I was taught in school as a kid...it just really messed with my head for a few minutes and I figured I'd bring it up.

milon

I appreciate where you're coming from.  I apologize that it was difficult to get through.  The point isn't to keep out legit users - it's to keep out spam bots.  If the questions are too easy/common, it won't work at all.  :\