[1.0] SeedsPlease!

Started by notfood, August 16, 2016, 01:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notfood

For your immersion pleasure

Adds gameplay surrounding planting crops.  For most of the basic crops, you now need seeds. Easy to modify. Comes with the plant processing bench to extract seeds from your favorite fruits.

Writing your own

<SeedsPlease.SeedDef ParentName="SeedBase">
    <defName>SeedPotato</defName>
    <plant>PlantPotato</plant>
  </SeedsPlease.SeedDef>

That's all it's needed for potato plants to start requiring and dropping seeds. You can customize it further with the seed properties: harvest factor, seed quantity and seed chances, and harvest product. The defaults make a vanilla experience. I've included all the core plants that yield a harvest.

Latest

Older Releases

Source code

• FlowerChild, original mod
  • Vendan, A11 update
  • Skyarkhangel, A12 update
  • Dismar, A13 update

Master Bucketsmith

kaptain_kavern

That is just awesome! Thanks

Quote from: notfood on August 16, 2016, 01:39:39 AM
Writing your own

<SeedsPlease.SeedDef ParentName="SeedBase">
    <defName>SeedPotato</defName>
    <plant>PlantPotato</plant>
  </SeedsPlease.SeedDef>

That's all it's needed for potato plants to start requiring and dropping seeds. You can customize it further with the seed properties: harvest factor, seed quantity and seed chances, and harvest product. The defaults make a vanilla experience. I've included all the core plants that yield a harvest.

Let me say that I like how you work, this is genius and simple to use!
What's to want beside that ?

Please keep up the good job  ;D

gillsminnow

Hey notfood, I've been and had a look through some of the Vegetable Garden files and gathered some information that I could find for you. Hopefully you can use it to balance the seeds for VG.

Maybe base the seed value off the produce values and the seed drops off the amount of produce they drop? (reverse it with the trees as you'd want the lower yielding trees dropping more seeds).

gillsminnow

Also, how do you designate a harvesting area below a tree on your map in which to get seeds from it? Or are they automatically collected on chopping the tree?

Elysium

This looks good, felt like farming was a bit too easy.  Going to try this out on my next colony.

Etherdreamer

There it´s no way that actually the mod recognize automatically the plants and add a seed for it?

JT

I don't think it's possible in this game dynamically to create new Things -- they have to be prototyped in XML first.  Admittedly it's been years since I've fired up a compiler in anger, so I haven't done a massive amount of delving through the code to see what sorts of magic might be possible.

notfood

Thanks gillsminnow! I'll definitely use it.

You can create new Things from scratch as long as there is a Def allowing it to be saved/serialised. I used to do it with Miniaturisation until I discovered the "better method"tm

I could make it so it can detect every plant and give it seeds. But how do we balance it? Market value and the genome need some human intervention.

gillsminnow

Absolutely love this mod and can't wait to start a proper game with it and vegetable garden.

Are you able to get seeds to drop for the generic Raspberry bushes around the map? I play a game with one survivor, landing with no meals or tools. I then, with Vegetable Garden installed, have to research Agriculture and then harvest nearby mushrooms for a food source and to plant my first lot of seeds. Mushrooms require Level 4 growing though. There doesn't seem to be anything on the map that grows and is able to be harvested that doesn't require any form of growing skill.

gillsminnow

Hey notfood, could you please detail exactly what each of the following does for me?

<harvestFactor>1.0</harvestFactor> - I have no idea what this line does
<seedFactor>1.0</seedFactor> - Is this the amount of seeds dropped per plant?
<baseChance>1.0</baseChance> - I think a setting of 1.0 will be 100% likely a seed is dropped
<extraChance>0.1</extraChance> - Does this make it 10% more likely you gain an extra seed? Or is it the extra chance of doubling the seed factor?

Thank you :)

gillsminnow

notfood I've had a go at balancing everything for you in both Vanilla and VG. Have a look at this.

notfood

Harvest factor increases the yield of the plant by % amount. It was part of the genome of the old version. Setting it to 1.0 for most is fine. It's there so you can make certain plants yield more or less depending on how much seeds you get from them. mostly for balance.

base chance is the chance for a seed to drop 1 seed.
extra chance is the chance for a seed to drop a second seed.
It's all multiplied by seed factor.

Can I have the spreadsheet?

gillsminnow

Yeah sure you on steam or something? Same username for me, I'm online.

notfood

Just attach it here to the post in the options. I rarely talk in steam.