Does <backstoryCategory> in PawnKindDefs actually do anything?

Started by Onion, August 16, 2016, 01:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion

Hey guys, does anybody know if there is a way to set backstory categories for different PawnKinds using xml?  I was able to have a modded faction use custom backstories by changing the <backstoryCategory> in the FactionDef, but I would also like specific backstories tied to the different PawnKinds.  No matter what I put for the <backstoryCategory> in the PawnKindsDef, all the different pawn types only spawn with backstories from the <backstoryCategory> that was chosen in the FactionDef.

I was looking at Diana's Orassan mod to see how it was done and it looks like this mod has the same problem - even though her pawnkinds have different <backstoryCategory> tags, like OrasaanGunner and OrassanVillager, they all spawn with the same pool of available backstories.

I don't know anything about modding, but I looked at the XML Auto-Documention for Rimworld and it seems like changing the <backstoryCategory> in the PawnKindDef should work.  Can anybody help?

Shinzy

I've tried to use them with my norbals aswell and found out they just.. don't work.

I really don't know if it's just some kind of useless leftovers from before or a bug or what

but only the category in the faction def seems to work

Onion

Thanks Shinzy, I appreciate the response. :)  I know you're an authority around here so I appreciate you taking the time out of whatever you're doing to help me out.

Is there a report forum that Tynan would see for things like this?  I'm not sure this would be an appropriate topic in the 'bugs' forum, but I'm curious to know if it's a bug or just a useless label.  It's used in the core files - when I looked at core defs the <backstoryCategory> in the 'Outlander' FactionDef was set to civil; yet in the PawnKindDefs the Outlanders have a 'Villager' pawnkind with a Civil backstory category and a 'Town Guard' pawnkind with a Raider backstory category.

Shinzy

Quote from: conjecture on August 16, 2016, 06:23:35 PM
Thanks Shinzy, I appreciate the response. :)  I know you're an authority around here so I appreciate you taking the time out of whatever you're doing to help me out.

Last night I wiped like five xcom 2 squads trying to start another playthrough of it
it was very important. And I'm a great commander I'll have you know!

Quote from: conjecture on August 16, 2016, 06:23:35 PMIs there a report forum that Tynan would see for things like this?  I'm not sure this would be an appropriate topic in the 'bugs' forum, but I'm curious to know if it's a bug or just a useless label.  It's used in the core files - when I looked at core defs the <backstoryCategory> in the 'Outlander' FactionDef was set to civil; yet in the PawnKindDefs the Outlanders have a 'Villager' pawnkind with a Civil backstory category and a 'Town Guard' pawnkind with a Raider backstory category.

Anyhow! now that you mentioned it,
it's definitely worthwhile thing to find out if it's supposed to work or not
Cause I really wanna know too and I don't know of any better place to ask, either
but.. uh.. I'll let you do that, I'll give you support from ..way back here while you ax the big man, ok? ok!

I'll cheer for you!