Addition to raiders

Started by Kyle, October 23, 2013, 02:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kender

Choke point and turrets can only do so much.

Try choke point + several groups of well placed land mines, you will be surprised.
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

Aerouge

Quote from: Spike on October 24, 2013, 12:20:50 AM
I think I saw a pirate in one video destroy a wall when there was no way through.  What if the AI could also decide the "open route" will take too long (analyzing terrain speed modifiers) and decide to go through a nearby constructed wall instead?  Why not clear the path with grenades, or in the case of barbed wire, with pliers?  Or maybe using the Fear mechanic, they could see the mass of bodies & blood ahead, and look for an alternate route.  Or instead of coding the behavior (or in addition), approach it through equipment.  If a pirate spawns with bombs instead of a pistol, they will not head into the colony; instead they will go to the closest structure and blow it up.

Yep pirates occasionally destroy walls by setting them on fire. They sometimes even do that when there is a clear path into the colony.

nnescio

Quote from: Aerouge on October 28, 2013, 11:10:53 AM
Quote from: Spike on October 24, 2013, 12:20:50 AM
I think I saw a pirate in one video destroy a wall when there was no way through.  What if the AI could also decide the "open route" will take too long (analyzing terrain speed modifiers) and decide to go through a nearby constructed wall instead?  Why not clear the path with grenades, or in the case of barbed wire, with pliers?  Or maybe using the Fear mechanic, they could see the mass of bodies & blood ahead, and look for an alternate route.  Or instead of coding the behavior (or in addition), approach it through equipment.  If a pirate spawns with bombs instead of a pistol, they will not head into the colony; instead they will go to the closest structure and blow it up.

Yep pirates occasionally destroy walls by setting them on fire. They sometimes even do that when there is a clear path into the colony.

Gets really hilarious when it's raining and they are enemy grenadiers around. Since the rain puts out fire, the raiders will be stuck in a loop trying to set fire to the walls again and again. Any grenadiers around will occasionally attempt to chuck grenades with no regard for friendly fire, leading to raiders blowing themselves up.

I once had a group of 25+ raiders rout themselves because of this, all without assistance from my or my colonists' part. Granted, I was tempted to blow them up with the blasting charges nearby, but their antics are just too funny not to watch.

(I originally built the wall to prevent fleeing raiders from escaping too easily, 'though that didn't work as they would destroy the walls right after arriving in drop pods.)

Grenadier AI works better when there aren't any rain around, as they will not attempt to bomb structures that are already under fire. That said, they will sometimes blow their teammates up.

I guess the "bomb structures that are not on fire" AI is meant to prevent players from walling off the raiders and holding the wall by continually repairing and putting out the fires. Still, grenadier AI could use some improvement. Maybe they could check for friendly fire?

The "target structure" AI can be exploited in another way. Building a semi-circular wall around a blasting charge will induce raiders to gather inside it to set fire to the walls, turning themselves into prime targets for the blasting charge inside.

Kyle

I've tried every suggestion in the thread, I just can't get through the third raid no matter what the costs.

NephilimNexus

"We've lost contact with LV-426."